“UNDP partners with people at all levels of society to help build nations that can withstand crisis, and drive and sustain the kind of growth that improves the quality of life for everyone. On the ground in 177 countries and territories, UNDP offers global perspective and local insight to help empower lives and build resilient nations.”
UNDP Indonesia’s mission is to be an agent for change in the human and social development of Indonesia. We aim to be a bridge between Indonesia and all donors as well as a trusted partner to all stakeholders. We work in four key areas of development: Governance Reforms, Pro-Poor Policy Reforms, Conflict Prevention and Recovery, and Environment Management, with the overarching aim of reducing poverty in Indonesia. Besides the four priority areas, UNDP Indonesia is also engaged in a variety of crosscutting initiatives focused on HIV/AIDS, gender equality, and information and technology for development.”
Despite impressive progress and ongoing efforts, Indonesia is still faced with a number of challenges in achieving sustainable development, which promotes economic and social development as well as environmental protection that benefits the entire population. The current economy of Indonesia is “brown,” which is based on energy intensity, high carbon, and exploitation of ecosystem services. This has resulted in rapid ecosystem degradation and unsustainable development. The Government of Indonesia (GoI) has been striving to achieve a transition from the current “brown” economy to green economy development pathways. To realize this, it is central to integrate the principles of green economy into the processes of policy decision making, namely planning, budgeting, monitoring and evaluation. GoI has demonstrated the commitment towards sustainable development by issuing three National Action Plans, namely National Action Plan to Reduce Emission Reduction (RAN-GRK), National Action Plan for Climate Change Adaptation (RAN-API) and Indonesia Biodiversity Strategic Action Plan (IBSAP).
The Sustainable Development Financing (SDF)-BIOFIN project is intended to support this transition process. The project will be implemented until 2018 and is an umbrella project of UNDP for all climate & biodiversity financing projects in Indonesia. The project will be implemented by the Fiscal Policy Agency of the Ministry of Finance in close coordination with Bappenas, the Ministry of Environment and Forestry, Ministry of Home Affairs and Indonesia Institute of Sciences. The project targets three thematic areas: climate change mitigation, adaptation and Biodiversity. The aim of the project is to strengthen the capacities of the Government of Indonesia to green the budget process by development and application of budget tagging system, fiscal instruments and performance-based budgeting system to enhance implementation of three action plans; RAN/RAD GRK (climate mitigation), RAN API (climate adaptation) and IBSAP (biodiversity). The project consists of three regional/global UNDP projects: the UNDP-UNEP Poverty-Environment Initiative (PEI); Building Transformative Policy & Financing Frameworks to Increase Investment in Biodiversity Management (BIOFIN) funded by the European Union and the Federal Ministry of Environment of Germany; and Strengthening the Governance of Climate Finance to Benefit the Poor and Vulnerable funded by Swedish International Development Agency.
The project activities will focus on supporting effective implementation of RAN-GRK, RAN-API and IBSAP. The component activities include, but not limited to:
1. Put in place system to integrate biodiversity & ecosystem services, climate mitigation and adaptation in sectoral & development policy, planning & budgeting:
2. Assessing the financing & governance needs for the implementation of RAN-GRK, RAN-API and IBSAP.
3. Identify, access, combine & sequence different sources of funds to meet the financing needs.
4. Initiate implementation of the resource mobilization strategy at national level.
5. Establishment of budget tagging and performance-based budgeting system to allow tracking expenditure and assess cost-effectiveness of the activities.
6. Development of fiscal instruments and policies to support effective implementation of RAN-GRK, RAN-API and IBSAP.
In order to implement the Sustainable Development Financing (SDF) project, this consists of three initiatives mentioned above, we are seeking a qualified Project Associate. The Project Associate will be supervised and report to the National Project Manager (NPM). S/He can supervise clerical and support staff of the Project Management Unit. The incumbent will coordinate with various units to support the highly complex project on finance, procurement, HR, security, communication and project administration.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Support the project team to ensure effective project planning, budgeting and implementation focusing on achievement of the following results
• Coordination of project planning and preparation work for, typically, a large and highly complex component of the project initiatives;
• Analysis, researches, summary and presentation of basic information/data on specific project and related topics;
• Preparation for project documents and submission to relevant parties for approval by relevant parties
• Implementation of project standard operating procedures in line with the government and UNDP’s regulations;
2. Support to the effective reporting on progress of project implementation
• Preparation and analysis of project workplan and budget proposals; provides assistance in the interpretation of budget guidelines; reviews and coordinates submissions of work proposal and budget estimation, ensuring requisite information is included and justified in terms of proposed activities; propose adjustments as necessary; prepares reports and ensures that outputs/services are properly categorized.
• Preparation of results oriented progress reports, in line with the monitoring and reporting guidelines and presents it to the project assurance team on a timely manner;
• Preparation of data for monitoring of projects ; categorization, updating, tracking and analysing data related to projects, e.g. accounting records, outputs, resources utilized, deviations/revisions, etc.; carries out periodic status reviews
• Identification of issues and initiates requisite follow-up actions
• Preparation of reports on budget revisions, expenditures and obligations, verification availability of funds;
• Preparation for financial authorizations for expenditures to be approved and documentation in prevailing budget system;
• Preparation of annual and quarterly work plans as well as project board meetings, audit, operational and financial closure of a medium size project.
3. Provides administrative support to the Project Management Unit focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Provision of guidance to implementing partner and serves as focal point for coordination, monitoring and expedition of project implementation activities, involving extensive liaison with a diverse organisational units to initiate requests,
• Preparation of standard terms of reference against project objectives, obtained necessary clearances, process and follow-up on administrative actions and provision of solutions to the issues related to project implementation, e.g. recruitment and appointment of personnel, travel arrangements, training/study tours, authorization of payments, disbursement of funds, procurement of equipment and services, security compliance, etc.
• As focal point for responding to the complex information requests and inquiries; review and establishment of filling management system; organization of meetings, workshops; monitoring of implementation of various routine administrative tasks.
• Preparation of draft correspondence on complex budget-related issues, periodic reports, briefing notes, graphic and statistical summaries, accounting spreadsheets, etc.
• Supervision of project support assistant, clerical level.
4. Support strategic partnerships and support to the implementation of resource mobilization focusing on the following results
• Updated database of the relevant public and development partners private sector, civil society and other stakeholders who are counterparts for the project;
• Establishment of filing management for internal databases; updated statistical tables, graphic content, and other background materials/notes to facilitate audit and other reviews.
• Finalization and publication of multiple languages report as a tool to communicate results, deepen stakeholder knowledge and buy-in to the project, and resource mobilization for the project,
• in coordination with UNDP’s Communication unit and other relevant counterpart communications department drafts project summaries, coordinates with editor, translation services, etc. on
• Preparation of draft correspondence and communications related to all aspects of programme/project administration, including work plan and budgets, revisions and other related issues, as well as prepares project’s contributions for a variety of periodic reports
5.Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff.
• Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in project management support function
• Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
• Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
• Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
• Self-development, initiative-taking
• Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
• Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
• Creating synergies through self-control
• Managing conflict
• Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
• Informed and transparent decision making
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Support the preparation of information for advocacy
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Contributing to results through provision of information
Building Strategic Partnerships
Maintaining information and databases
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Implementing processes and uses products
Providing information for resource mobilization strategies
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Basic research and analysis
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Research and analysis
Maintains effective client relationships
Required Skills and Experience
Bachelor degree in in Accounting, Finance, Business, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or other relevant fields of study would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
Minimum 4 years of professional experience, preferably in the field of development for candidates with Bachelor Degree and 6 years for candidates with Diploma Degree
• Fluency in written and spoken English is an absolute necessity;
• Fluency in written and spoken Bahasa Indonesia is required.
• Demonstrated strong familiarity with development projects in Indonesia would be desirable.
• Knowledge of and experience in supporting administration of UNDP projects will be highly desirable.
• Strong knowledge and solid experience in coordination of project management support are essential as well as ability to draft high quality correspondence on budget-related issues, briefing notes, graphic and statistical summaries, accounting spreadsheets, etc
• Good inter-personal and team building skills.
• Full time availability for project management support duties is essential.
• Familiar with Government and UN/UNDP procedures would be desirable
• Advance computer skills required, knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages
• Experience in handling of web based management systems would be highly desirable.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Indonesia nationals: Project Associate
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Jakarta, , ID