Polish Humanitarian Action (PAH) is a non-governmental organization employing people who want to make the world a better place. For over 20 years, we have been providing relief in big and small emergencies worldwide alongside with running missions in several countries in crisis. Our interventions of both humanitarian and development character have been carried out in 49 countries so far. We concentrate on ensuring sustainable and stable development of regions suffering consequences of war and/or natural disasters. We possess long-standing expertise in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), but also implement projects in Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL), as well as Shelter. For more information, please refer to www.pah.org.pl.
PAH in South Sudan:
PAH has been working in South Sudan since 2006 as one of the first NGOs established in Jonglei State. We are a small team of committed individuals aiming at delivering tangible and sustainable change in the largest, most populous and most conflicted state of South Sudan. We are needs- and community based, hence aside drilling and repairing boreholes, developing accompanying O&M structures and innovative approaches to sanitation and hygiene promotion, we have also been developing our emergency response capacity. Our Emergency Response Team (ERT) mainly reacts to WASH and NFI needs of populations affected by conflicts and natural disasters, which have been on the increase for the past three years. Thanks to the expertise gathered over the years, we were also appointed to lead WASH Cluster in the state: we coordinate WASH emergency response with partners and hence make sure all vulnerable communities are served at the time of crisis.
Who PAH is looking for:
PAH in South Sudan is looking for an external Candidate for a Hygiene & Sanitation Officer. The person will hold the following responsibilities:
Objective/role of the position:
· Implementing hygiene and sanitation promotion activities for programme beneficiaries according to the standards set up by PAH.
Possible promotion /development path: within the same unit or different unit:
· Hygiene and Sanitation Manager
Direct subordinates: Community Hygiene Promoters
Scope of work:
- Provision of hygiene promotion to vulnerable communities - conducting trainings, sessions, mass campaigns.
- Carrying out needs assessments – preparing adequate assessment documentation following guidance from the supervisor; using PAH templates.
- Training of community hygiene promoters on hygiene promotion – organizing sessions, preparing materials, keeping record of attendees; ensuring trainings are well balanced in terms of gender and age.
Monitoring the work of community hygiene promoters - carrying out household visits
of beneficiaries; Hygiene and Sanitation Officer is a direct line manager of the community hygiene promoters.
- Training of Stakeholders on the issues of hygiene and sanitation.
- Cooperation with local authorities and local communities
- Conducting frequent meetings with local authorities, schools and churches about the progress of the project.
- Facilitating appropriate community involvement in the design and delivery of essential WASH services and facilities – carrying out community mobilization activities, liaising with crucial stakeholders.
- Organization of clean up campaigns in schools, markets, water points and other places identified by Hygiene and Sanitation Officer
- Running documentation and monitoring of interventions
- Keeping proper records of field expenditures and reporting accordingly
- Writing comprehensive reports from conducted
- Arranging and sorting WASH IEC materials and ensure proper usage; developing new materials – liaising with other HSO, informing Senior HSO about possible shortages.
- Providing support/carrying out WASH-NFI distributions – organizing distribution; providing stock count; informing community about the rules during distribution as well as proper usage of items; handing over items to community; keeping record of recipients.
- Close cooperation with Project Coordinator and Monitoring and Evaluation team - preparing baselines, house to house surveys and any other relevant assessment/monitoring documents.
Minimum required experience & qualifications:
· At least a diploma or Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health or related course
· Minimum of 2 years WASH Experience
· Minimum of 2 years emergency/humanitarian experience
· Good command of written and spoken English
· At least 2 years of experience in similar activities in the past will be an asset
· Proficiency in English
· Knowledge of Arabic will be an added advantage
The said list is not inclusive and may require the Employee to perform other duties as assigned by the Employer.
How to apply:
Application Submission Criteria:
Please send a covering letter outlining how your skills and experience meet the person specification along with your CV to human resource at firstname.lastname@example.org or submit your application to human resource department, Juba South Sudan
Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line i.e. “Application for the position of Hygiene and Sanitation Officer”
Note: due to urgent need, to fill this position, shortlisting may take place before the advertisement deadline.
We appreciate your application however, only short listed candidate will be contacted. If you have not been contacted within the closing date, we regret that your application has been unsuccessful