What PAH is about:
Polish Humanitarian Action (PAH) is a non-governmental organization employing people who want to make the world a better place. For over 25 years, we have been providing relief in big and small emergencies worldwide alongside with running missions in several countries in crisis. Our interventions of both humanitarian and development character have been carried out in 49 countries so far. We concentrate on ensuring sustainable and stable development of regions suffering consequences of war and/or natural disasters. We possess long-standing expertise in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), but also implement projects in Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL), as well as Shelter, Nutrition and Education. For more information, please refer to www.pah.org.pl
PAH in South Sudan
PAH has been working in South Sudan since 2006 as one of the first NGOs established in Jonglei State. We are a small team of committed individuals aiming at delivering tangible and sustainable change in the largest, most populous and most conflicted state of South Sudan. We are needs- and community based, hence aside drilling and repairing boreholes, developing accompanying O&M structures and innovative approaches to sanitation and hygiene promotion, we have also been developing our emergency response capacity. Our Emergency Response Team (ERT) mainly reacts to WASH and NFI needs of populations affected by conflicts and natural disasters, which have been on the increase for the past three years. Thanks to the expertise gathered over the years, we were also appointed to lead WASH Cluster in the state: we coordinate WASH emergency response with partners and hence make sure all vulnerable communities are served at the time of crisis.
Who PAH is looking for?
Polish Humanitarian Action is looking for a WASH TECHNICIAN for an anticipated project to be based in Juba, South Sudan.
Key objective of the post:
• Lead the rehabilitation of water sources, upgrading water sources to mini-water yards and constructing/drilling new water systems according to the standards set up by PAH.
Scope of work:
- Rehabilitations and repairs of boreholes and other water points liaising with the authorities and partners;
- Participate in Borehole drilling and construction both manual/rig drilling machine
- Take accurate borehole log sheet and keep an update record
- Lead in the construction of rain water harvest system
- Basic knowledge of rig maintenance
- Basic knowledge of Welding and metal fabrication
- At least should have a knowledge of geophysical survey and analysis of the geophysical data
- Rehabilitating India Mark II/Mark III boreholes and Duba tropic pump; handing over to community; keeping photo documentation; preparing works reports.
- Liaising with Logistics Assistant to release spares from the stock;
- Upgrading boreholes to mini or full water yards – providing technical design for water yards; carrying out technical analysis of given water point; purchasing necessary materials (sand, gravel etc.), assessing its quantities; liaising with causal laborers; erecting the structure; conducting bio-chemical analysis of water; preparing community hand over reports.
- Cooperation with local authorities and local communities – attending meetings, taking notes, informing the Project Coordinator about the outcome of meetings attended.
- Facilitating appropriate community involvement in the design and delivery of essential WASH services and facilities – mobilizing of Local Hand Pump Mechanics and providing information on water source operation and maintenance to communities.
- Cooperation with and training for local Pump Mechanics and Water User Committees – mobilizing communities; ensuring trainings are well balanced in terms of gender and age; carrying out trainings; keeping records of attendees.
- Regular water quality tests – getting oneself familiar with DelAqua kit; designating sources for analysis (household/water point); collecting samples; incubating samples in the laboratory; presenting results in digital form (Excel file).
- Setting up surface water treatment plants (SWATs).
- Constructing emergency latrines and rehabilitating existing institutional latrines.
- Participation in carrying out WASH assessments and report writing once required.
- Cooperation with the Project Coordinator in general, and specifically in managing procurement and logistics for project-related equipment and material - preparing and revising purchase requests from the technical side; analyzing quantities and quality of material for carrying out activities in accordance with PAH standards.
- Cooperating with the Monitoring and Evaluation team – conducting baseline and post-intervention surveys and any other relevant assessments in the given context.
- Maintaining an accurate record and taking proper care of all field equipment and material stocks for the PAH WASH Team
- Keeping proper records of field expenditures and reporting accordingly
- Documentation and monitoring of water infrastructure, water point mapping in cooperation with other stakeholders;
- Assessing water points; collaborating with other WASH actors in given location as well as authorities and communities; analyzing the data for further repairs and upgrades
- Writing interventions reports in English using PAH templates.
- Translating programme IEC materials into vernacular or Arabic when required
The above list is not exhaustive and may require the Employee to perform other duties as assigned by the Employer.
Minimum required experience & qualifications:
· At least a Degree or Diploma holder in Water or Civil Engineering from a recognized University or institution
· Minimum of at least 2 years with proven experience in WASH, repair of water points, training of water user committees, pump mechanics, water quality analysis etc.
· Minimum 2 years of experience in Humanitarian work in emergency context
· Ability to work in a dynamic team and in a multicultural environment
· Accuracy and attention to details
· Familiarity with common standards such as Sphere and common humanitarian standards etc
· Good organization skills and flexibility in working with various groups and categories of people.
· Good working knowledge of Word, Excel and Outlook (MS Office) and email usage
· Very good knowledge of English language (spoken and written) with good level of Arabic.
· We value team work hence we are looking for a humble and understanding person with good relations and problem solving skills.
· Good report writing skills, able to write comprehensive detailed interventions and project reports.
How to apply:
Application Submission Criteria:
Please send a covering letter outlining how your skills and experience meet the Person Specification along with your CV to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or submit your application to PAH Compound South Sudan Mission near Nile Fortune Hotel, Tomping, Juba - South Sudan.
Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line i.e. “Application for the position of WASH TECHNICIAN”
Note: due to urgent need to fill this position, shortlisting may take place before the advertisement dead line.