The EIB, the European Union’s bank, is seeking to recruit for its Projects Directorate (PJ), Environment and Natural Resources Department (ENR), Water Advisory Division (WAD) a (Senior) Environmental Sector Economist*. This is a full time position at grade 6/5.
*internal benchmark: (Senior) Sector Economist
Panel interviews are anticipated for end November / beginning December.
The term of this contract will be 4 years.
The EIB offers fixed-term contracts of up to a maximum of 6 years, according to business needs, with a possibility to convert to a permanent contract, subject to organisational requirementsand individual performance.
The Water Advisory Division (WAD) is at the core of delivering the JASPERS mandate (Joint Assistance to Support Projects in European Regions), a bi-lateral partnership between the European Commission and the EIB. The aim of JASPERS is helping EU and Acceding Countries achieve better access to EU Grant Financing under the Cohesion and Structural Funds and the Instrument for Pre Accession, with particular emphasis on providing technical assistance in the preparation of eligible infrastructure projects.
The successful candidate will be working within a multidisciplinary team and in close cooperation with the European Commission, beneficiaries in the EU Member States and accession countries. S/he would have passion for Environment and Climate Change topics and pro-actively address related issues with team partners and with project stakeholders.
S/he will advise on the preparation of water projects (water supply, wastewater, water resource management, flood and draught risk management, coastal protection and adaptation to climate change) to be co-financed by the Structural and Cohesion Funds or under the Instrument for Pre-Accession.
The (Senior) Environmental Sector Economist will report to the Head of Water Advisory Division and will work as part of a team of engineers, economists, environmental and climate specialists. S/he will be responsible for a portfolio of projects in JASPERS countries of operations or horizontal actions at division level. In collaboration with other experts, s/he will work closely with Managing Authorities and project promoters in their countries of responsibility on assignments attributed by the Head of Division.
S/he will be required to travel to project locations within and out of the EU (normally short trips of up to a week).
In order to ensure the smooth and timely delivery of outputs and responses demanded from the various external counterparts, the post holder would have and will further develop strong relationship management, teamwork, communication and organisational skills.
- Manage assignments for the preparation of projects (water, wastewater, climate adaptation, flood risk management) potentially eligible for EC grant funding which includes:
- Advise on specific aspects of the projects, such as the economic, financial and climate assessment;
- Review feasibility studies and EC grant application for funding under the Cohesion Fund, the ERDF or under IPA;
- Advise on the planning and programming of sector investment activities to improve access to Funding from EU sources and contribute to the preparation of a project pipeline suitable for future EC grant finance;
- Develop and disseminate, through model projects, international best practice and skills needed to take advantage of EU-grants;
- Share information and experience in the preparation of projects with other members of the team in order to deepen the knowledge and foster further collaboration within the team.
Preference in short listing will be given to candidates with:
- A Master degree (or equivalent) in Economics or other closely relevant field (Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Quantitative Methods, Finance);
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant professional or academic research experience, preferably also in climate, environmental or water sector economics;
- Practical sector experience covering cost/benefit analysis or financial/cash flow modelling;
- Solid IT (standard Office tools, particularly Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and writing skills;
- Excellent knowledge of English or French (*); knowledge of other EU languages of the countries (inside and outside EU) where JASPERS operates would be an advantage.
Find out more about EIB core competencies here
(*) There may be certain flexibility on this requirement, but limited to particularly suitable candidates who may not yet be proficient in French. If selected, such candidates will be hired on the condition that they build up rapidly knowledge of French and accept that their future career in the EIB may be subject to the attainment of sufficient proficiency in both of the Bank’s working languages.
We are an equal opportunities employer, who believes that diversity is good for our people and our business. We encourage all suitably qualified and eligible candidates to apply regardless of their gender identity/expression, age, racial, ethnic and cultural background, religion and beliefs, sexual orientation/identity, disability or neurodiversity.
Applicants with specific needs are encouraged to request reasonable accommodations at any stage during the recruitment process. Please contact the EIB Recruitment team [email protected] who will ensure that your request is handled.
By applying for this position you acknowledge the importance of maintaining the security and integrity of the Information of the EIB Group. In case of selection for the position you agree to comply with all measures (policies, controls, document classification and management) implemented by the EIB Group to prevent unauthorized disclosure of any information or any damage to the EIB Group reputation.
Deadline for applications: 24th November 2022