Non-OECD nationals: Programmes, Partnerships & Resource Mobilisation Internships (2)
Dates: Flexible start date in September-November, for 3 months (possibility to extend up to 6 months, not guaranteed)
The Global Water Partnership (GWP) is a global action network with over 3,000 Partner organisations in 183 countries. Founded in 1996, the network has 65 Country Water Partnerships and 13 Regional Water Partnerships.
GWP’s vision is a water secure world. To realise this vision GWP supports countries to advance governance and management of water resources for sustainable and equitable development. This is pursued by promoting Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM), a cross-sectoral policy approach designed to replace the traditional, fragmented sectoral approach that has led to poor services and unsustainable resource use. As a means to achieving long-term impact towards water security, GWP seeks to influence water governance processes through the promotion of IWRM principles. Policy development, strategic planning, legislative change, investment planning and transboundary agreements are examples of such processes and it is here that GWP actively contributes both inside and outside the ‘water box’ at the global, regional, national and subnational levels.
These internships offers an excellent opportunity for students interested in sustainable development and water governance to gain exposure to the operations of a network organization that extends from the global level to regional and national levels.
These internships will support two aspects of GWP’s work: GWP programme support and the Partnerships and Resource Mobilization (PRM) unit. The specific tasks and focus of each internship will be adjusted to match the background and interests of the individual interns.
Support to GWP Programmes (50%)
The GWP Secretariat supports Regional Water Partnerships and Country Water Partnerships to carry out their work programmes, as well as to facilitate knowledge sharing across countries and regions. This support is delivered in the context of GWP’s three anchor areas within the new GWP Strategy 2020-2025:
- Water solutions for the Sustainable Development Goals
- Climate Resilience through Water
- Transboundary Water Cooperation
The interns will support GWP’s programmes through:
- Case-specific research, analysis and writing to support programme activities at the GWPO Secretariat and throughout GWP’s network
- Support in development and implementation of global support components, including knowledge sharing, scaling, resource mobilization and partnerships development
- Support in developing communications and outreach materials for different audiences, including knowledge products related to an online course on transboundary waters
- Assist in target mapping and research for the SDG Support Programme
- General support to the GWPO Network Operations Unit according to need
Support to Partnerships and Strategic Initiatives (50%)
The interns will also support the Partnerships and Resource Mobilization (PRM team) through:
- Case-specific research, analysis and writing
- Development of PRM-related communications materials, including Powerpoints, reports, and social media content
- Development and updating of PRM tools, including databases and mapping documents
- Support to the development of materials related to the GWP Strategy 2020-2025, including analyses and perspectives papers
Presenting result of internship
At the end of internship period, each intern is encouraged to make a final presentation of the work they have completed to the GWP team.
Requirements, Qualifications and Terms
These Internships are part of a specific project, GWP thus offers the successful applicants a stipend of SEK 30,000 to cover basic daily expenses in Stockholm, travel and insurance. GWP will not offer any other remuneration or financial support to meet expenses for travel or subsistence.
In addition to the information and requirements set out in the general GWP Internship Description, applicants for this specific internship shall meet the following requirements:
- Be a national of and enrolled at a university in a non-OECD country
- Interest in water resources management, any of GWP’s overall focus areas (particularly SDGs and/or youth), and/or other environmental sustainability issues.
- Knowledge of the 2030 Development Agenda and integrated water resources management is an advantage
- Research and writing experience
- Meet all expenses for travel, insurance and any other expenses beyond the provided stipdend, through financial support from their educational institution, government, scholarships or through personal resources
Familiarize yourself with the full description and requirements of an internship with GWPO here: https://www.gwp.org/en/About/more/Vacancies-and-Internships/
The internships are based at the GWP Global Secretariat in Stockholm, Sweden.
Interested students should submit their applications through the online application system latest by
8 September 2019. Applications should include the following:
- Cover Letter with an introduction of the applicant
- Proof of enrolment and writing samples shall be readily available upon request
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview in the weeks following the deadline.
Questions can be addressed to Internship@gwp.org (applications are not accepted via e-mail).