It's hard to believe that today 844 million people do not have clean water and 2.3 billion do not have a decent toilet - around one in three of the world's population. Every two minutes, a child under five dies from diarrheal diseases caused by poor water and sanitation.
WaterAid is looking for a Country Director to play a vital role in our mission to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone, everywhere by 2030.
Working within the senior management team, the primary purpose of the Country Director is to provide leadership to the Country Programme and to contribute to the regional, Pan-Africa and global leadership of WaterAid. The Country Director achieves this by steering the direction of the Country Programme, empowering and developing staff and partners and influencing public and private institutions on the impact that improvements in safe water and improved sanitation and hygiene can make to the poorest and most excluded - thereby contributing to wider poverty reduction and human development.
Key responsibilities include:
- Provide strategic leadership to the country team promoting a management culture that is supportive, empowering and collaborative.
- Understand the local funding context and identify appropriate funding opportunities to increase income.
- Deliver the country programme strategy and multi-year plans in line with WaterAid's Global Strategy, organisational principles and values. Link programme practice and policy to maximise our impact.
- Contribute as a member of the global and regional leadership teams of WaterAid to support organisational effectiveness and development. Engage and collaborate at regional and global levels on strategic, thematic and learning priorities as appropriate.
To be successful, you'll need the following:
- At least 15 years' proven experience of working at a senior level with strategic leadership, management and financial accountabilities especially in WASH.
- Track record of developing strategic and operational partnerships with national level NGOs and government authorities for programme, policy and advocacy interventions.
- Proven record of raising funds from government and/or international agencies (bilateral/multilateral), managing large budgets with diverse international donor base.
- Ability to communicate and make presentations clearly in English
- Fully committed to WaterAid's vision, mission and values and a way of working that demonstrates this, with the ability to communicate this enthusiasm to others.
We started because no NGO like us existed. We'll end when no organisation like us is needed. In the meantime, we're making great progress - since 1981, we have reached 25 million people with clean water and, since 2004, 24 million people with sanitation.
We're looking for people who share a commitment to our vision. We're looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges. In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best. This is our pledge to you.
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, send your application by completing our job application form (available at the end of the job description document) and send it to ting WAE CD in the subject line.
Deadline: 25th August 2019.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
Only candidates shortlisted for interviewing will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date for applications.
No recruitment agencies please.