Local recruitment: Senior Project Officer (Water Resources)
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB. 1 Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
This vacancy is a local staff position. It is open only to nationals and residents of India.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB's mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB's main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the India Resident Mission (INRM) within the South Asia Department.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The position will provide in-depth technical expertise and operational support in project processing of sovereign projects and implementation in the assigned sectors. At this level, the incumbent is expected to take the leading accountabilities to the position and should be able to demonstrate thorough substantial and diverse experience, the ability to undertake a variety of assignments, and to work independently or with a team under minimal supervision. The incumbent will report to the Country Director, India Resident Mission (INRM).
- Provides in-depth technical expertise and operational support to sovereign loan, grant, and TA processing missions in the water resources management sector (irrigation, management of floods, and river and coastal erosion, and integrated water resources management [IWRM]) especially in project readiness and advance procurement action, implementation arrangements, cost estimates, procurement packaging and related technical issues. Reviews sovereign project concept papers (PCPs) and appraisal documents and provides comments.
- Act as INRM's focal for relevant sovereign projects in the sector. Liaises with and supports HQ and of INRM, Government agencies, development partners, , and other stakeholders including farmer organizations to facilitate formulation, processing, administration and monitoring of ADB-financed sovereign loans, grants, and TAs in water resources management sector.
- In coordination with HQ experts, lead and facilitate the policy-level dialogues for the sector, including relevant policy and legislative frameworks and institutional arrangements for IWRM, disaster risk management, and irrigation service delivery, as well as for sovereign investment project cycle management.
- Administers the implementation of assigned ADB-financed sovereign projects and TAs to ensure effective implementation, including:
- monitoring the progress of assigned projects and prepares project performance reports.
- preparing annual forecasts of contract awards and disbursements, identifying factors responsible for shortfalls, and expediting achievements of target levels;
- identifying and analyzing issues related to project implementation through interaction with executing agencies (EA), contractors, consultants, and project beneficiaries; preparing measures to address the issues and implementing the measures;
- reviewing bid evaluation reports and preparing internal procurement papers and correspondence for extension of loan closing dates and reallocation of loan proceeds;
- providing advice to stakeholders on ADB's Anti-Corruption Policy; providing advice to government ministries/departments and concerned agencies on ADB guidelines on procurement, recruitment of consultants, preparation of tender documents, etc.;
- reviewing, as required, internal and external papers related to the sectors and preparing comments/suggestions; reviewing and assessing impact of intervention being undertaken under ADB-financed projects/TAs;
- leads multi-sectoral project administration teams to ensure timely achieving project outcomes in full compliance with loan and project agreements, including procurement, safeguards, gender, technical, financial management and capacity building aspects;
- maintaining up-to-date knowledge base of future Government investment plans and approval processes organizational structure and policies relevant to the assigned sectors; and
- preparing Project Completion Reports and TA Completion Reports as assigned.
- providing implementation support for all projects in the sector, including leading assigned project review missions and participating in headquarters' missions.
- Participates in the Country Portfolio Review Missions and Tripartite Portfolio Review Meetings.
- Monitors the overall performance of the portfolio of ADB sovereign projects in the specific sector and related subsectors, including preparing the related pre- and post-mission/ meeting documentation, planning and monitoring of the sector performance and implementation of agreed sector and project-specific action plans.
- Undertakes assigned special portfolio management activities (e.g. procurement reviews; sector reviews).
- Helps organize, contributes to, supports, and participates in meetings, conferences, seminars, and workshops, including Country Programming Missions.
- Actively contributes to the development of the sector results frameworks, sector assessment, and sovereign lending and non-lending pipelines in the sector.
- Maintains close cooperation with other donors and undertakes meeting and consultation with them, especially in respect to sector partnerships, as and when required.
- Supports mainstreaming of climate change in the ADB operations. Produces reports, as required, on the tasks undertaken in relation to the above.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master's Degree or equivalent; or Bachelor's degree in civil engineering or relevant disciplines
- At least 5 years as incumbent NS (for ADB staff)
- At least 12 years of relevant professional experience in project implementation; At least 5 years of experience in project design, procurement, and construction administration. Related experience in farmer and stakeholder consultation and participation and experience in international agencies is preferable.
- Good computer skills with sound knowledge of common word-processing, spreadsheets, presentation, and graphic software used in ADB.
- Ability to communicate effectively with key clients in the developing member countries.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Level 3 - 4.
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of three years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.