Senior Manager (Youth & Education Programs)
Senior Manager, Youth & Education Programs
- 37.5hrs/week, 1 year term (potential for renewal to be discussed)
- Salary: 50 – 60,000$ / year
- Competitive benefits package including medical, dental, and paid days off to discover the watershed
- Start date: September 23, 2019
Are you inspired by the next generation’s potential to protect the environment ? Do you believe that real-world experience could help mobilize and prepare youth to become water stewards in their own communities?
Ottawa Riverkeeper is hiring a Senior Manager, Youth & Education Programs to join our dynamic team. Our new creative, outgoing, and self-starting colleague will have a passion for, and experience working with youth, in classrooms and/or outdoor settings. They will have a very important mandate: to help Ottawa Riverkeeper craft and deliver educational programming to mobilize youth in favour of swimmable, drinkable, and fishable water.
In particular, the Senior Manager, Youth & Education Programs will take the helm of our Young Water Leaders initiative, which helps youth aged 17-25 gain real skills, experience, and networks in the field of freshwater stewardship – all the while spurring tangible environmental gains in these youths’ communities. With a first successful cohort of youth having completed the program, our new colleague will join Ottawa Riverkeeper in time to lead our second cohort through the program from start to finish. Moreover, the successful candidate will help usher in a whole new era of educational programming focused on the Ottawa River, by leading and delivering a study to assess the feasibility of implementing a River School in Ottawa.
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Post-secondary credentials in a related field (e.g. Education, Outdoor education, Environmental science, etc.). OCT professional designation would be an asset.
- Proven experience working with youth in a leadership capacity, in classrooms and/or outdoor settings. Experience with youth of a variety of ages, in particular in the 17-25 year-old age range would be a definite asset.
- Proven experience developing educational activities, materials and curriculum.
- Understanding and knowledge of potential partners for Ottawa Riverkeeper’s education and outreach initiatives, including teachers, principals, school boards (in particular those serving the Ottawa area), and other community agencies which deliver youth programming.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects, timelines, and deadlines. Experience managing budgets and grants would be an asset.
- Creativity, imagination and the ability to take initiative and bring fresh ideas to the Riverkeeper team.
- Strong communication skills, oral and writing. Bilingual candidates will have a definite advantage.
To apply, please email your CV and cover letter to the attention of Katy Alambo at . Please make YOUTH2019 the subject of your email.
Deadline: August 19, 2019.
Please note that applications will be assessed on a rolling basis – candidates are encouraged to apply early.
ABOUT OTTAWA RIVERKEEPER
As a dynamic, growing, and well-respected environmental organization, Ottawa Riverkeeper works to protect your rights to swim, drink and fish the Ottawa River and its tributaries. We work collaboratively using science to guide our actions. Ottawa Riverkeeper is a licensed member of the Waterkeeper Alliance, an international coalition of grassroots water protection organizations headed by renowned conservationist Robert Kennedy Jr. There are over 300 Waterkeeper organizations working around the world to defend their local river, lake or bay.