Lead planning and conduct of periodic review of status and progress of loans, technical assistance (TAs) projects, and non-lending products and services projects in agriculture, natural resources (ANR), and rural development sector in Central and West Asia Department (CWRD) countries to contribute to ADB’s developmental directions and the overall goal of reducing poverty. Lead the identification of implementation problems and execution of corrective actions; and improve portfolio performance in general (e.g., contract awards, disbursements, project completion reports) and monitor achievements. Lead in utilizing the division’s collective experience and knowledge gained through portfolio management to enhance country programming efforts and continuous improvement of project administration practices. Conduct prior review of ANR projects at concept and Report and Recommendation of the President (RRP) stages. Work within a framework of broad policies, principles and goals, applying a high degree of autonomy in selection of work methods.
a. Strategy and Planning
Lead in preparing the division’s annual portfolio management plans (i.e., contract awards, disbursements, project completion report/TA completion report program) and monitor their achievements.
Lead the provision of Headquarters inputs to country portfolio reviews and other country programming activities in terms of portfolio review, updating and assessment.
Lead comprehensive water resources sector analysis for the relevant CWRD countries, identify development constraints, innovative technologies and opportunities, and develop country water action plans that contribute to water, food and energy security.
Lead the identification of necessary and appropriate water sector interventions, including investments, policy and institutional reforms, and capacity building, for consideration by ADB, in accordance with the relevant sector strategies and road map, based on close collaboration and consultation with the governments, civil societies and other key stakeholders, and reflecting the best technical judgment on the components and activities under the proposed interventions to ensure effective and sustainable development results.
b. Portfolio Management
Lead monitoring, periodic review/progress reporting of project/program implementation, compliance with covenants, and achievement of desired development impact.
Lead review of portfolio performance by sector/country and preparation of initiatives to promote project quality and improve portfolio performance.
Lead in providing guidance and advice for the identification and implementation of action items needed to resolve implementation issues and problems.
c. Project Management
Lead and ensure the proper consideration of key implementation issues based on the division’s collective experience and knowledge gained through portfolio management in the design and processing of loan and TA projects.
Lead the processing and administration of complex loan and TA projects within sectoral or thematic area of expertise.
Lead in providing guidance and functional oversight including the review of mission Back-to-Office Reports related to project administration among division staff to ensure timely implementation and performance reporting, fielding of missions, etc.
Lead the execution of required measures to address project implementation problems.
Ensure quality and consistency of reports, and outgoing communications related to the division’s portfolio management.
d. Policy and Project Evaluation
Ensure prompt identification and proper attention is given to problem or potential problem projects.
Lead in the continuous review and improvement of project administration policies and practices.
Lead the activities for the harmonization of policies and practices related to project implementation among other development partners.
e. Knowledge Sharing
Lead in providing advice on ADB policies, guidelines, practices on project processing and administration with internal and external stakeholders.
Maintain and disseminate the division’s collective experience and knowledge gained through portfolio management.
f. Staff Supervision
Take the role of team leader and supervise the work of team members.
Supervise the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
Ensure the ongoing learning and development of reporting staff.
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Provides supervision to others in completing their technical tasks
- Called upon for advice and guidance based on expertise gained by working in different countries and organizations
- Contributes advanced knowledge and expertise to different parts of the Department
- Proposes effective services and solutions to staff beyond presenting issues and past challenges
- Assists colleagues adapt to the cultural and business norms of diverse clients and country situations
- Gains respect for the breadth and depth of expertise demonstrated in effectively managing diverse clients and country situations
- Called upon to resolve client situations that may impact their long-term ADB relationship
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Resolves situations where client needs are not being met
- Shares past experiences from different projects, organizations, and countries to help achieve quality results
- Ensures that thorough analysis includes current and relevant factors from different countries and contexts
- Sought out for guidance and experience in overcoming the most challenging situations
- Draws on long-term relationships with stakeholders to help plan for and achieve results
- Addresses team members not contributing to required standards
- Commits to delivering timely and high quality work to assist in the team’s success
- Develops and maintains good internal and external peer and senior level relationships
- Helps teams understand common features to build rapport and overcome challenges
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Provides stakeholders with the level and quality of information required to achieve outcomes
- Encourages others to seek long-term solutions to address feedback opposed to focusing on immediate concerns or reactions
- Uses breath of multi-country and multi-client knowledge to equip clients and staff for more effective outcomes
- Designs and implements project and program knowledge and services
Innovation and Change
- Consistently seeks more effective and practical ways for the Departmental delivery of services, products, and processes
- Proposes new ways to improve the quality and relevance of products and services
- Includes the core benefits and reasons for change when developing comprehensive change roll out plans
- Influences and persuades decision makers by presenting business cases supporting the proposed changes
- Master’s degree, or equivalent, in social sciences, engineering, and/or business or other related fields. University degree in social sciences, engineering, and/or business or other related fields combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level
At least 12 years of relevant professional work experience and hands-on experience in project processing, administration and portfolio management
Good knowledge of operations in water sector, rural development, and other natural resources related matters
Ability to provide leadership for solving difficult implementation problems, managing complex project review missions, and supporting loan processing.
An attitude of striving for results (meeting deadlines, solving problems, delivery of key results areas) and helping others achieve results.
Familiarity with logical framework and results-based management approach.
Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and strong interpersonal skills
International experience working in development in several countries
- Supervisor: Director
- The following staff positions may be supervised by the incumbent:
- Administrative Staff
- National Staff
- We encourage diversity in our workplace and support an inclusive work environment. Women are especially encouraged to apply.