Local recruitment: Country Coordinator
This is a local recruitment. Only Chinese nationals, individuals with residence status or the appropriate employment visa for China are eligible to apply. The remuneration and benefits package for this position is established with reference to the local labour market and in line with the IUCN conditions of service for China.
Under the guidance of the Regional Director, Asia, Director - Regional Hub for Asia-Oceania, in close collaboration with all Programme/project staff, the Country Coordinator will coordinate the IUCN China Programme at the country level to ensure effective and timely development, planning, delivery, monitoring and evaluation of an integrated and coherent programme for IUCN China.
To achieve this, the Country Coordinator will lead the programme team in China and assist the Regional Director, Asia, Director - Regional Hub for Asia-Oceania in developing new project concepts and proposals, and in monitoring the performance of China programme in achieving programmatic and financial objectives.
The main responsibilities are:
- Programme and Project Planning, Monitoring and Reporting
- Programme and Project Development
- Capacity Development in Planning, Monitoring/Evaluation and Reporting
- Manage the resources and finance of IUCN China Office to ensure effective and timely development, planning, delivery, monitoring, and evaluation of an integrated and coherent programme
Programme and Project Development
- Develop and maintain relationships with government, NGO and other civil sector partners, as well as with members of the international community;
- Lead the proposal development activity in IUCN China and the development of the Country Programme, including developing and maintaining relationships with governmental, non-governmental and other civil sector partners, as well as with members of the international community in China;
- Lead the China Country programme in delivering results under the One Programme approach and facilitate the necessary coordination with Regional Thematic Programmes and Global Thematic Programmes.
- Provide programme development support and advice to IUCN China staff in the preparation of project concepts and proposals, including facilitating technical input and reviews;
- Support the Regional Director in seeking new funding opportunities by developing innovative alliances with donors, members and partners and producing quality project proposals in close cooperation with both technical staff within IUCN China and with the region;
- Work with the Regional Director and Finance on matters related to financing and sustainability of IUCN China notably, updating and review of ABC list, preparation of project budget and donor contracts, definition of the core functions and costs of IUCN, integration of annual work planning and budgeting, and new financing mechanisms;
Programme and Project Planning, Monitoring and Reporting
Support the Regional Director, Asia, Director - Regional Hub for Asia-Oceania in effectively coordinating the IUCN China Programme to ensure coherence and integration across the programme as well as with the Asia Region and globally, and to this end:
- Coordinate the processes of the country programme and project planning, monitoring and reporting in accordance with guidelines established for the Asia Region and globally;
- Ensure that IUCN China operationalizes the Asia Project Appraisal System (PAS) guidelines
- Ensure the development of good quality strategic, intersessional and annual plans for IUCN China, including the development and regular monitoring of programme and project work plans;
- Work with the Regional Director and Managers of Finance and HR on matters related to preparation of project budget and donor contracts, definition of the core functions and costs of IUCN, integration of annual work planning and budgeting, and new financing mechanisms;
- Liaise closely with thematic units and Projects to ensure outputs and commitments identified in work plans are delivered in a timely and effective manner and any resulting products are of high quality;
- Integrate monitoring and evaluation in the work of all projects of IUCN China including the development and use of performance indicators for quality management;
- Support programme and project evaluations and participate in related reviews, as necessary;
- Ensure that lessons learnt in various projects and units of IUCN China are documented and internalized in the current and future work of IUCN China.
- Ensure regular programme reporting requirements by both donors and IUCN Asia Regional Office (ARO) are met (e.g. Quarterly Progress-Reports & Annual Report);
- Ensure strong links between communications/knowledge management and programme coordination and delivery.
- Be directly responsible for the management of a thematic program and or Project implementation as required, playing the role of thematic head or project manager.
Capacity Development in Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Facilitate, guide and assist all programme units in using the tools and techniques available in Asia Region and globally for work planning, M&E and reporting;
- Provide overall guidance and advice on project development, proposal writing and donor intelligence;
- Identify needs for technical support to IUCN China and recommend to the CR on how these may be met.
- Undertake specific capacity building measures and exercises (training, mentoring, other) as necessary
- Represent IUCN China Program in external and internal IUCN meetings, at national, regional and international levels, as needed;
- Undertake any other tasks as may be assigned by, and mutually agreed with the line manager
- Advanced University Degree in Natural Resources Management, Environmental Management, Project Management, Economics, or a relevant field. PhD in a similar area of study will be a distinct advantage;
- At least 8 years of progressively responsible experience in a relevant field with particular focus on environmental or natural resource programme/project development, management and M&E; out of which, at least 5 years must be in a managerial/leadership role;
- Demonstrated experience in project proposal development and project engagement;
- Proven experience in all phases of programme/project development, management and implementation is essential, including planning, execution, M&E, and technical and financial reporting;
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal and team building skills and ability to manage performance of individual staff members;
- Prior work experience in China and preferably within the Asia Region; must exhibit cultural awareness and sensitivity to diversity and gender issues;
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet and deliver deadlines;
- Willingness to travel frequently, both local and internationally;
- Strong presentation and communication skills and fluency in written & spoken Chinese and English and computer literacy;
- Demonstrated ability to write excellent, high quality technical reports, within tight deadlines is essential;
- Experience and ability to work in a multicultural and multi-perspective environment and a broad awareness of the politics and relations in Asian region.
Applicants are requested to apply online through the HR Management System, by opening the vacancy announcement and pressing the "Apply" button.
Applicants will be asked to create an account and submit their profile information. Applications will not be accepted after the closing date. The vacancy closes at midnight, Swiss time (GMT+1 / GMT+2 during Daylight Saving Time, DST). Please note that only selected applicants will be personally contacted for interviews.
Other job opportunities are published in the IUCN website: http://www.iucn.org/involved/jobs/