POSITION: Water Resources Program Manager
LOCATION: Red Cliff Environmental Office
WAGE: $15.00 to $19.00/hr., (DOQ), Plus Benefits
SUPERVISOR(S): Environmental Director and Treaty Natural Resources Division Administrator
THIS IS A REGULAR FULL-TIME NON-EXEMPT POSITION
Perform all necessary duties to manage the Water Resources Program for the Red Cliff Band under Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Clean Water Act (CWA) Sections 106 and 319.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Fulfill the tribes EPA CWA work plan requirements including: meeting grant deadlines, fulfilling report requirements, oversight of financial matters, drafting contracts, and regular correspondence with EPA.
- Maintain program files and office/lab.
- Oversee monthly surface water testing and field data for waterbodies within the reservation boundaries using quality assurance project plans (QAPP), draft QAPPs, and oversee and conduct water instrument calibration.
- Operate ATV, canoes, program vehicles, and other field equipment in a safe and professional manner.
- Assist with the development and implementation of Water Quality Standards and other regulations of water quality. Complete water quality reviews for various consultations, management plans, and permits.
- Attend meetings with various environmental, federal, state, and tribal agencies, and serve as a liaison for the Red Cliff Band on water resource issues in an articulate and professional manner. Regularly meet with Tribal Council and Administration, Tribal Committees/Boards, and Division employees regarding Water Program activities.
- Apply for water related grants and carry out implementation of grant funds received.
- Provide regular community education and outreach on program activities.
- Assist Tribal employees, Treaty/Natural Resources Division co-workers, and community members as requested.
- The above duties and responsibilities are not an all-inclusive list but rather a general representation of the duties and responsibilities associated with this position. The duties and responsibilities will be subject to change based on organizational needs and/or as deemed necessary by the supervisor.
SUPERVISORY AUTHORITY: None.
- Excellent understanding of Tribal natural resource management, environmental issues, and water resources.
- Requires strong understanding of hydrology, geomorphology, familiarity with Tribal water resource programs, and goals designed to protect water quality.
- Knowledge of Tribal government operations and as well as cultural issues related to natural resources.
- Good understanding of environmental regulations pertaining to Tribes.
- Knowledge of critical environmental issues in the area and specific to ecosystems in the Lake Superior Watershed.
- Knowledge of EPA, BIA, and other programs to protect water quality.
- Bachelor of Science degree required. A degree in Environmental Science, Hydrology, Water Chemistry, or other natural resources related will be preferred.
- Previous experience with water-related monitoring and data analysis.
- Previous experience in grant writing, grant administration, and data entry strongly preferred.
- Must have strong oral and written communication skills.
- Previous experience in GIS and GPS software programs, and office equipment.
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision and in cooperation with other departments and staff.
- Must be able to meet deadlines and fulfill grant requirements.
- Must have excellent computer organizational skills as well as strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to work with a diverse group of people.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, vehicle and appropriate vehicle coverage and maintain driver’s eligibility as a condition of employment. Be eligible to be put on the Tribe’s vehicle insurance policy.
PERSONAL CONTACTS: Treaty Natural Resource Division Administrator, Environmental Director, Tribal staff, and community members.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be physically able to perform all job duties including field work. Involves moderate physical effort such as walking, standing, bending, stooping, sitting, walking uneven terrain in various conditions, and lifting up to 50 pounds. Ability to work in an office setting and with computers.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Subject to inside and outside environmental conditions. Must be willing to work in adverse weather conditions, as necessary. All Tribal offices are smoke free.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: Regular local and out-of-town travel is required to attend a variety of meetings with EPA, State, Tribes, and others. Travel can be extensive at times.
BEHAVIOR AND ATTITUDE: The vision, goals and objectives of the Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa requires that the employee performs in both a professional and personable manner. The manner in which the employee relates to fellow employees, customers and visitors is considered parallel in importance to technical knowledge and ability. Respect and consideration given to the dignity of each customer, visitor and fellow employee is a requisite of successful job performance. Any Behavior or Attitude that tarnishes the Name or Image of the Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa will be subject to immediate disciplinary action up to and including termination.
Indian preference will be applied in the case of equally qualified applicants, but all qualified applicants will be considered.
This job description is subject to change at employer’s discretion, after consultation with the employee.
APPLICATION SUBMITTAL REQUIREMENTS: The following items are required for this position:
- Completed Tribal Application, to include work history and references; available on the tribal website.
- Tribal Background Investigation Disclosure; available on the tribal website.
- Cover letter and resume.
- Post-secondary transcripts or certifications; if applicable.
- Writing sample (i.e. science papers, lab reports, or management plans).
POSTING DATE: July 30, 2019
DEADLINE: August 13, 2019 @ 4:00 p.m.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa
88455 Pike Road
Bayfield, WI 54814
(715)779-3700 ext. 4268 or 4267
The Red Cliff Tribal Council has a Drug Free Work Place Policy and adheres to the intent of the Drug Free Work Place Act. All new hires are subject to a drug test prior to starting.
All applicants for employment with the Red Cliff Tribe will be subject to the background investigation and other requirements of RCCL Chapter 43, and are under a continuing obligation to supplement this application for employment with information concerning any convictions that occur after commencement of employment with the Tribe.
EMPLOYEE BENEFITS PACKAGE
THE EMPLOYEE BENEFITS PACKAGE INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING:
- A Health Insurance Plan which is through the Federal Employee Health Benefits (FEHB). FEHB is offered for both single and family coverage. Employees considered to be full time status will be required to pay 12% of the premium for the plan selected.
- The Dental package is through Delta Dental. This benefit is offered at no cost to the employees with single or family medical coverage.
- Short Term Disability is offered to all employees at no cost and pays 60 % of weekly pay for a maximum of 90 days if you get sick or injured off the job.
- Life insurance of $15,000 is included at no cost to all employees. Spouses are covered at $7,500.00 and children are prorated. Employees can purchase additional life insurance from the plan provider at their own cost.
- Profit Sharing Plan with a 401(k) component is offered to employees after one year of work, with a minimum of 1000 hours. The Tribe puts 3% of employee’s wages into the Profit Sharing Plan.
- The Tribe also offers General Leave to Full time employees. Employees will accrue 16 hours of General Leave per month and can accumulate up to 192 hours per year. After 5 years of employment, General Leave goes up to 20 hours per month with a maximum of 240 hours.
- The Tribe observes a total of 11 paid holidays.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $15.00 to $19.00 /hour
- grant writing, grant administration, and data entry: 1 year (Preferred)
- GIS and GPS software programs and office equipment: 1 year (Required)
- water-related monitoring & data analysis: 1 year (Required)
- Bachelor's (Required)
- driver's license (Required)