Female Ethiopia nationals: WASH Team Leader
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
Bule Hora, Ethiopia
Mid-Level (5-7 Years)
Bachelor's (Or Equivalent)
Please note: this job post has expired! To the best of our knowledge, this job is no longer available and this page remains here for archival purposes only.
- Line management of WASH project field staff;
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures;
- Contribute to WASH CC strategies development, project proposals and provide input on needs and gaps;
- Manage and implement delegated portfolio of WASH projects (activities, budget and project documentation) as delegated from WASH/Shelter PM in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality;
- Provide regular progress reports to WASH/Shelter PM;
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist;
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activities;
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills;
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders;
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy.
- To ensure minimum standards of technical quality in all activities and interventions, which are technically appropriate, realistic, in line with project specific objectives and on budget.
- Undertake contract management and tendering processes of the diverse contractors for WASH hardware and software activities.
- Plan, coordinate and oversee the implementation of NRC WASH activities (Public Health Engineering, Public Health Promotion, water scheme Construction) in the Guji and Gedeo zones.
- Ensure that assessment, programme design and implementation considers needs and vulnerabilities in Guji and Gedeo zones.
- Ensure that WASH and Shelter programme design is informed by and integrated with NRCs’ other priority sectors of ICLA, Livelihood and Food Security (LFS), Education and Protection.
- To ensure that sustainable systems are set in place for longer-term operation and maintenance of all water and sanitation infrastructure, including the provision of all necessary training.
- Prepare and oversee the implementation process to ensure timely delivery of programme activities (for example, monitoring against log frames, individual performance management work plans).
- Prepare timely financial and narrative reports on project activities in compliance with internal NRC requirements and any relevant external donor requirements.
- Ensure appropriate management and use of NRC resources at all times
- Manage project staff on a day-to-day level working with other technical departments, security, logistics, administration and senior management staff (depending on assignment).
- Ensure that NRC’s work in WASH and Shelter programming is coordinated with efforts of other agencies and Government and represent organization at Interagency Coordination meetings.
- Contribute to learning, experiences and evidence to relevant global advocacy objectives relating to WASH through case studies and documentation.
- BSc degree with 5 years’ or MSc degree with 3 years’ experience respectively in one or more of the following: Hygiene promotion, Civil engineering, Hydraulic engineering, Water supply and irrigational engineering, Water supply and environmental engineering, Environmental Engineering, Water resource and Environmental Engineering and related subject.
- Experience from working as a WASH or similar in a humanitarian/recovery context with an INGO;
- Experience in implementing integrated WASH activities (both software and hardware);
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts;
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities;
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile;
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal.
- Civil engineering / construction
- College / University, Bachelor's degree
- Context related skills, knowledge and experience
- Knowledge of the operating context in Guji and Gedeo zones is a significant asset;
- Knowledge of the local languages is an advantage;
- Experience in use of design software’s like Auto CAD, ArcGIS and statistical packages;
- Knowledge and experience of the application of SPHERE and links to emergency and longer-term development practice;
- Excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills.
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Handling insecure environments
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Planning and delivering results
- Strategic Thinking
- Commencement: ASAP, shortlisting and Interviews will continue as applications are received
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions
- Duty station: Bule Hora with frequent travel to fields
- Travel: Approx. 150 days travel