Emergency WASH Advisor
About the role
Crown Agents is recruiting for an Emergency WASH Advisor, primarily based out of Zimbabwe but with responsibility for overseeing program delivery in Zimbabwe, Malawi, Mozambique and Madagascar. The project will be delivered over three years and the exact level of effort for the WASH advisor is yet to be determined. The team will be responsible for delivery of a grant management program responding to sudden onset crisis caused by flooding and cyclones across the four countries. The project will form a rapid response mechanism that will contribute to the first phase humanitarian response by programming funds to implementing partners or where none exist, take the lead in delivering humanitarian programs. The project team will identify potential partners, build capacity, monitor the emergency needs of the region, and program funds in the areas of shelter, WASH and logistics. The position will require a commitment to mobilize resources rapidly in response to a disaster declaration and the job holder should therefore be willing to work flexibly during such periods. The successful candidate will report to the Chief of Party for this project.
Emergency WASH Advisor
The WASH Advisor will be responsible for:
- Provide guidance, shape and deliver country WASH strategies for the project ensuring that each strategy remains relevant throughout the project by offering timely review and modification;
- Develop and maintain mapping of potential partners relevant to the delivery of WASH programs;
- Provide guidance to prospective grantees in WASH interventions, informing partner organization preparedness, need assessments and interventions;
- Contribute to the evaluation of concept notes and proposals making recommendations as required to streamline delivery and the mainstreaming of best/good practices in needs assessment, project design, implementation, M & E, and research
- Assist with the development and refinement of triggers that define a sudden onset WASH emergency;
- Ongoing and in-depth humanitarian scanning and assessment of the target countries including early warning, monitoring against triggers and response modelling specific to WASH;
- Work with the logistics lead to prepare a direct implementation strategy in at risk areas where partner capacity is low evaluating the suitability of NFIs, cash or voucher modalities or centralized water treatment interventions;
- Develop and deliver WASH trainings and design and lead technical capacity building initiatives;
- Ensure effective and efficient program monitoring and reporting processes are in place and implemented for all program activities;
- Ensure appropriate visibility at regional platforms and forums concerning WASH and participate in relevant meetings to advance the project’s WASH objectives. This may include meetings with government departments, donor and UN agencies, local and community groups; and,
- Undertake any other duties as are reasonably required.
About you – Essential
- Degree in water sanitation engineering or related field;
- Extensive relevant experience in field-based WASH program implementation in humanitarian contexts;
- Proven experience in appropriately managing WASH programming in rapid response contexts;
- Ability to carry out critical analysis of needs, gaps and opportunities in relation to assure delivery of quality programming;
- Proven experience in proposal evaluation, evaluation and strengthening of partner organizational capacity
- Strong written and oral communications skills including ability to write technical documents and give presentations to partners
- Ability to develop trust and strong collaborative working relationships
- Willingness to travel extensively to project countries; and,
- Fluency in English in a must with knowledge of a regional language an advantage.
About You - Desirable
- Preference will be given to applicants with practical experience in the focus countries.
You’ll be working with Crown Agents which is a high impact social enterprise passionate about transforming the future for millions of people. Since our creation in 1833 we have worked across the globe to improve public services and drive economic growth. Our expertise is finding new solutions to difficult problems for clients in the areas of health, governance, economic growth, humanitarian action and supply chain services. We work with and train leaders at local, national and international level to achieve lasting change drawing on our insight and experience.
About what's on offer
Crown Agents offers a competitive benefits package.