This is a 20 hour per week part-time role; Unrestricted authorization to work in the U.S. is required.
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
The Infrastructure Group based in the Portland, Oregon Mercy Corps office helps to develop opportunities, prepares scopes of work, provides technical advice and upon request, conducts detailed evaluations and studies and designs infrastructure systems in support of our in-country operations. A primary goal is to help build local capacity and augment local technical resources to further the strategic goals of the local offices
General Position Summary
The Engineer Associate position for the Mercy Corps Portland-based Infrastructure Group is a technical support role. As such, the candidate will conduct studies and analysis under the supervision of senior team members.
Essential Job Functions:
- Conduct research for water, wastewater and other infrastructure projects – crafting memos and white papers that effectively communicate necessary information to stakeholders.
- Provide technical support to the senior technical advisor and global infrastructure lead – prepare concept and preliminary designs.
- Perform calculations for various design activities, ensuring accuracy and compliance with standards.
- Utilize multiple hydraulic models.
- Write technical reports to effectively communicate with stakeholders.
- Estimate construction costs, ensuring projects stay within budget.
- Develop schedules and work plans to coordinate the team’s achievement of goals and objectives.
- Review and comment on engineering plans and Bills of Quantity.
- Become familiar with MC’s procurement processes and prepares procurement/tender documents.
- Provide analytical support, research and analysis for Infrastructure and other Operations team as requested.
- Field deployment in support of country infrastructure projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Our Partners
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, to our partners and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Reports Directly To: Director of Infrastructure and Senior Technical Advisor
- Works Directly With: Program Managers, Procurement department, contractors, and supporting consulting firms.
Knowledge and Experience
- BS degree in engineering (civil, electrical, or related)
- At least 3 years of experience in engineering
- Strong communication skills - both spoken and written, interacting effectively with diverse stakeholders
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to process information into action
- Basic understanding and knowledge of civil engineering principles including hydraulics
- Understanding and knowledge of development of contract documents
- Proficiency and practical knowledge of MS Office Suite, including MS Project
- Basic AutoCAD skills
- A clear understanding of assets, transport, property ethics and donor compliance is desirable.
The successful candidate will be curious, hardworking, organized and focused on Mercy Corps’ mission of serving our beneficiaries. Flexibility will be required to address a range of assignments. Responsibility and professionalism is needed in fostering working relationships both internal and external to Mercy Corps.
Living Conditions/Environmental Conditions:
The position is based in Portland, Oregon, USA and it requires up to (10%) travel.
Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/STA to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.