The Environmental Communications, Learning and Outreach (ECO) program is designed to assist the USAID Bureau for Economic Growth, Education, and the Environment (E3) in meeting its objectives in training, communications, knowledge management, and facilitation in the Environment and Natural Resources Management (ENRM) and Global Climate Change (GCC) sectors. The ECO program provides USAID staff and the broader development community with the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities to design, implement, monitor and evaluate quality programming, as well as develop and enhance communications and information management systems that facilitate knowledge sharing and learning for improved development impact. This position is the Adult Learning Specialist for the ECO project, responsible for managing the competency-based training task portfolio. The position reports to the ECO Chief of Party.
Primary Role and Responsibilities:
- Manage the Competency Based Training Portfolio for USAID E3 offices (Global Climate Change, Forestry and Biodiversity, Water, and Energy and Infrastructure), involving the overall coordination of the training portfolio, provision of adult learning expertise, and budget development and monitoring.
- Collaborate with USAID staff to conduct surveys to identify training needs and analyze results to develop new training programs or modify and improve existing programs.
- Work closely with the ECO Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor to evaluate trainers’ performance and the effectiveness of training programs and provide recommendations for improvement.
- Plan, develop, and provide training programs, using adult learning theory and expertise, and knowledge of the effectiveness of methods such as face-to-face training, distance learning modules, and workshops.
- Manage training logistics and facilitate new and existing technical training programs.
- Develop and organize training manuals, multimedia visual aids, and other educational materials.
- Work closely with course technical trainers and/or ECO M&E advisor to develop testing and evaluation procedures.
- Oversee the work of a training Project Associate.
- Collaborate and coordinate both with other ECO project staff, as well as other adult learning specialists from TRG supporting ECO training programs.
Qualifications, Abilities, and Education Requirements:
Education – Master’s degree or equivalent education/work experience in a related field (i.e., organizational learning, adult education, international development, international or multicultural communication, international business, or management).
Experience –Ten years of full-time work experience as an internal or independent trainer and organizational learning practitioner. Experience should include organizational learning, management, training needs assessment, coaching, and/or related activities.
Key Skills –
- Ability to design and facilitate state of the art adult learning programs and provide this expertise to the client and others on the ECO team.
- Knowledge and experience working with USAID, particularly in the environmental and natural resource management areas.
- Interest in and ability to quickly learn the technical language, key issues, and culture of the USAID E3 offices that ECO supports.
- Genuine and demonstrated curiosity about effective approaches to individual, team, and organizational development and learning and how they can contribute to our clients’ success.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multidisciplinary teams, including technical experts, other adult learning and OD specialists and different offices within USAID’s E3 Bureau.
- Demonstrated comfort, confidence, and effectiveness providing OD and training services in a broad variety of settings in the US and internationally. Proven ability to provide these services virtually.
- Experience with budget management.
- Ability to listen, absorb, and synthesize, orally and in writing, the key themes from data gathered in interviews, background documents, and group discussions.
- Flexibility to craft a customized approach that is entirely focused on the client’s needs.
- Interest and ability in building lasting relationships with clients and colleagues – a natural connector who sustains work opportunities for themselves and others.
- Excellent facilitation skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Skilled in applying and appropriately adapting organizational learning models and frameworks, particularly within a variety of cultural and cross-cultural contexts.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Strong writing skills
- Interest and experience in applying technology for organizational learning and training
- Life and/or work experience in developing countries
- Familiarity with U.S. government contracting
- Fluency in another language helpful
- Familiarity with the environment sector (Biodiversity and Forestry, Global Climate Change, Water, or Energy and Infrastructure)
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit our website www.trg-inc.com to find out more information about our company. Apply with a statement of interest and resume. Your statement of interest (no more than 2 pages) should address the following two questions:
- Describe the clients with whom you’ve worked the most over the past 2-3 years. What is the nature of their work and how have you been involved with them?
- What attracts you to TRG and our work?
TRG is an equal employment opportunity employer. We adhere to a policy of making employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, citizenship, age or disability. We assure you that your opportunity for employment with TRG depends solely on your qualifications.