Lead the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) team in Leer, designing and implementing WASH services for beneficiaries in Leer County. Major responsibilities include: assessing WASH needs, designing projects, contributing to proposal preparation, managing project implementation, reporting on objectives, timeframe and budget, providing technical support and line-management to staff, ensuring quality standards are met and liaising with local authorities and other stakeholders.
Take a look at Medair’s Water, Sanitation & Hygiene work.
Multi-sector relief programme including: provision of Primary Health Care, Nutrition, Health and Hygiene Promotion, Water and Sanitation and NFI & Emergency Shelter distributions across fixed and emergency response locations throughout South Sudan. The goal is to assist in reducing morbidity and mortality in vulnerable communities in South Sudan.
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired and motivated by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure. Internationally recruited field and headquarters staff lead the organisation, supported by nationally recruited staff to implement programmes locally.
Leer, South Sudan. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
As soon as possible
Initial Contract Details
Full time, minimum contract of 12 months
Key Activity Areas
- Ensure technical quality of programme implementation and activities.
- Select and evaluate appropriate technologies to achieve project goals.
- Provide technical input and support to the team on project activities
- Develop programme strategy.
- Manage the schedule and budget to implement the logframe and activities .
- Monitor project indicators and communicate project performance on a regular basis.
- Ensure quality of program implementation and activities.
- Represent Medair at coordination meetings and through relationships with external partners.
- Conduct formal staff appraisals and performance monitoring.
- Lead regular WASH team meetings, reviewing project progress and planning ahead.
- Provide updates on wider humanitarian and political context and coordination with other partners / Cluster / etc.
- Recruit new staff (with support from HR and Advisor) and provide training as needed.
- Develop procurement plan at start of project cycle to forecast procurement needs.
- Coordinate with support and logistics managers to facilitate procurement of supplies.
- Ensure adequate stock of critical supplies at all times.
- Assess the cost of activities in relation to scope, schedule and logistics to plan and forecast spending.
- Manage the WASH budget, tracking expenditure against planned.
- Give input to monthly Cash Needs Forecast, to ensure adequate (but not excess) cash reserves are kept in the field to cover foreseen and unforeseen activities.
- Support the security focal person with security management when needed.
- Ensure the WASH team adhere to standard operating procedures Medair has in place.
- Promote strong planning and communication within the team.
Field – Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Live, work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings.
- Instigate and contribute to prayer times within internationally recruited staff and HQ teams.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organisational needs.
- University degree in a WASH-related field, hydrology, civil engineering, or similar
- Certification in project management desirable
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written)
Experience / Competencies
- Two year post-graduate work experience in a relevant field
- Field experience working in a WASH programme in a developing country, preferably in a humanitarian context with a focus on water supply desirable
- Good planning, time-management, organisation and reporting skills
- Flexible, can cope with basic living conditions
- Valid driving license
Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) roles in the field
- Professionals with 12 months or more relevant relief or development experience (Experienced Relief Workers)
- Professionals with less than 12 months relevant relief or development experience (New Relief Workers)
- Experienced professionals in a relevant Medair sector of expertise
- Overseas intercultural experience
- Fully committed to the Medair values; to reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, local staff, and external contacts
- Strong working knowledge of English, spoken and written
- Working knowledge of French, spoken and written, for French-speaking field programmes
- Able to live and work in a multicultural team under difficult conditions
- Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, honesty, and physically fit
- Single or married (with no children under 18). If married, your spouse must also apply.
- All potential candidates for field positions must successfully complete the Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC). Information, dates and related costs can be found via this link.
Benefits Package provided to all Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS)
- Comprehensive briefing at our Swiss Headquarters, as well as an in-country briefing
- Security training for those going to insecure environments
- Accommodation, food, and transportation in-country
- Return flights to and from the country programme (one return flight for every year of service)
- Rest and recuperation (R&R) leave (including travel, accommodation, and food)
- Annual leave
- Comprehensive medical and emergency rescue insurance, with up to 60 days post-assignment coverage, including debriefing
- Disability insurance
Specific benefits for Experienced Relief Workers (IRS)
(Applicants with 12 months or more relevant relief or development experience)
- A salary based upon the grade of the position and experience of the position-holder, starting from USD 1,700 per month
- Contribution matching programme for retirement savings
- Additional contract benefit allowance for those who commit to longer contracts
- Highly subsidised contribution to Medair ROC travel and accommodation costs
Specific benefits for New Relief Workers (IRS)
(Applicants with less than 12 months relevant relief or development experience)
- USD 300 per month
- As soon as 12 months relief work or its equivalent has been completed, a salary based upon the grade of the position, starting from USD 1,700 per month, and other experienced relief worker benefits
- This is a field position based in Leer and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the Medair organisational values.
Please also check out the Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
Then please fill out your application for this position via the apply buttons on this page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications.
Only English-language applications and CVs will be reviewed.
Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.