Plan, develop, monitor and evaluate the assigned WASH project(s). This involves assessing WASH needs, designing projects, writing proposals and initiating and effectively managing and reporting on the projects in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget. Provide technical support, leadership and strategic direction, other important aspects of the role include meeting quality standards in WASH delivery, encouraging beneficiary participation, liaising with other stakeholders and managing and training WASH staff.
In response to the ongoing crisis in Iraq, Medair’s programme is delivering emergency assistance to Iraqi IDPs, returnees and host communities in Dohuk, Ninewa and Kirkuk with an expectation to expand into additional governorates in 2016. Projects include Health, WASH, Shelter and NFI Assistance with an emphasis on Cash base interventions and the use of ODK and LMMS to assist in programme delivery.
As soon as possible
Initial Contract Details
Full time, contract of 24 months
Key Activity Areas
WASH Project Management
- Manage the assigned WASH project(s) in order to meet the project objectives within budget and within the allotted time frame.
- Provide strong leadership of the assigned WASH project(s), working to ensure both short and long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local authorities and local WASH staff.
- Develop and implement an appropriate and effective WASH strategy in consultation with other WASH staff and field managers.
- Set clear objectives and indicators for WASH activities in collaboration with the WASH staff, field managers and, where appropriate, with the local communities.
- Continuously monitor and supervise WASH activities, overseeing the technical design, execution and evaluation of progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability in all aspects of the project.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to Medair, donor and other applicable timeframes and formats.
- Develop new proposals, linked to the country strategy, in conjunction with the relevant field managers.
- Line-manage the WASH Manager(s) of the assigned project(s), including day-to-day management, development and training, etc. It may also be necessary to line manage other WASH project staff.
- Provide coaching and technical supervision for staff in order to develop ownership and full responsibility for WASH activities.
- Assess the training needs of WASH staff and ensure that appropriate training is provided / conducted.
- Manage the WASH budget for the assigned project(s) and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet the Medair standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance.
Communication and Coordination
- Participate in WASH coordination meetings and other working groups or meetings as required, representing Medair and feeding back to the WASH staff and field managers on relevant issues.
- Support the logistics activities of WASH staff, particularly in relation to the purchasing of supplies and equipment for the assigned WASH activities.
- Ensure WASH projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards i.e. Sphere and HAP standards.
- Higher level qualification in a technical field, preferably in Water and Sanitation
- BSc / MSc in Water / Environmental / Civil Engineering or Management or Hydrology / Geology desirable
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written)
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field
- Management experience in a WASH context
- Exp. working in a WASH programme in a developing country, pref. in a humanitarian context desirable
- Technical WASH skills within a humanitarian setting
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian standards such as Sphere and HAP
- Experience in training / mentoring / coaching staff
- Ability and willingness to manage project implementation; able to take the initiative in project decisions
- Good numerical, report writing and administration skills; problem solving ability
- Able to prioritise clearly and oversee multiple tasks
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills
- Able to cope with basic living conditions in the field and during field trips
Medair Standard Working Requirements for the Field
- Experienced professionals in a relevant field; Overseas intercultural experience
- Committed Christians; commitment to the Medair values
- Strong working knowledge of English, spoken and written
- Working knowledge of French, spoken and written, for French-speaking field programmes
- Single or married (with no children under 18). If married, your spouse must also apply.
- Successful completion of Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
- Reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, external contacts
- Able to live and work in a multicultural team under difficult conditions
- Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, honesty, and physically fit
- A salary based upon the grade of the position and the experience of the position-holder
- Comprehensive briefing at our Swiss headquarters, as well as an in-country briefing
- Security training for those going to particularly insecure environments
- Accommodation, food, and transportation in-country
- Return flights to and from the country programme (one return flight for every year of service)
- Rest and recuperation (R&R) leave (including travel, accommodation, and food allowance)
- Annual leave; Death and disability allowance
- Contribution matching programme for retirement savings (for experienced relief workers)
- Additional contract benefit allowance for those who commit to longer contracts
- Comprehensive medical and emergency rescue insurance, with up to 60 days post- assignment coverage, including debriefing
- This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Please fill out your application for this position via the apply buttons on this page. Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications.
Only English-language applications and CVs will be reviewed.
Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.