In order to achieve the “Creation of enabling structures to deliver effective diarrhoea prevention and control, in the context of the 7 Point Plan in Shomolu” being SDI Programme’s Output3.2, the SDI Project considers the approval and full implementation of the Lagos Water Supply and Sanitation (WASH) Policy as the bedrock of preventing new cases of diarrhea and other water borne diseases amongst under5 children in Lagos State.
SCI through the SDI Project advocated for and sponsored the WASH Policy Review and Consolidation Retreat in April, 2016. This meeting produced a robust and consolidated WASH Policy that is validated by all major stakeholders in the WASH Sector of Lagos State. SCI’s sustained advocacy has led to the Ministry of Environment’s resolve to develop the Costed Implementation Framework for the WASH Policy with the support of the SDI Project.
The purpose of this consultancy is to support Lagos State to develop a realistic Costed Implementation Framework with strategies and guidelines for the approved WASH policy of the State.
Scope of Work
- Carry out a thorough an in-depth study of the approved WASH policy with a view to understanding the contents, principles and statements in the policy and its immediate recommendations.
- Working with the necessary stakeholder MDA’s at all levels, discuss and agree on Specific Measurable Achievable Reliable and Time bound (SMART) targets for each component, i.e. water, sanitation and hygiene practices in the state.
- Hold meetings and dialogue sessions with relevant stakeholder MDA’s to collate their existing plans and discuss and agree on modalities for implementing them in line with the relevant and specific policy statements that may impact on the operations and performance of the specific stakeholders group.
- Develop specific implementation guideline within the context of the 7Point Plan.
- Facilitate a Four-day review meeting/retreat on the draft implementation strategies and guidelines in conjunction with the Lagos State Ministry of the environment.
- This forum will also review the existing water sector law with key State level implementers and major resolutions will be referred back to the Ministry of Justice. This is to ensure that any hindrance in the existing law that may affect the smooth implementation of the WASH strategies is identified and addressed.
- Recommendations on amending the existing Lagos State Water Sector law to be passed to Ministry of Justice drafting committee.
- Costed Implementation Framework (implementation guidelines and strategies) of the Lagos State WASH Policy.
- Time-table for implementing key reform indicators of the water sector of the State including plans for scaling up and Public Private Partnership (PPP) options.
- Final Report and a monitoring plan that will enable the Lagos State Ministry of the Environment to track progress of implementation of the policy implementation
This consultancy is for a total period of 20 days as shown in the table below:
Qualifications and skills
- The consultant should be a holder of at least Master Degree in the Civil or Water Resources Engineering.
- A minimum of 15 years professional experience, of which 10 years should be in the development of policy, institutional and regulation development in the water and sanitation sector in developing countries preferably in Africa and Nigeria in particular.
- The consultant should also be familiar with the WATSAN policies, strategies, frameworks and donor supported programmes.
- A good understanding of the existing policy documents at the national level such as the national water supply and sanitation policy, the national water resources bill and other related documents will be of added advantage.
Intrested Candidates should provide a detailed costed proposal with Time-lines of how the consultancy conducted.
This consultant will take place in Lagos State.