About WaterAid Myanmar
WaterAid Myanmar (WAMM) was established in early 2016. With its innovative programmes, WAMM aims to contribute towards delivery of universal access to water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) in Myanmar for everyone particularly the poor and marginalised people. WAMM seeks to strengthen sustainable delivery of WASH services by collaborating with relevant government departments and ministries and through diverse partnerships and networks.
WaterAid's vision is a world where everyone, everywhere has safe water, sanitation and hygiene by 2030.
Our mission is to transform the lives of the poorest and most marginalised people by improving access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene.
Everything we do is shaped by our values:
The Programme Manager Policy & Advocacy is responsible to advocate and lobby with the relevant government departments on sustainable and inclusive WASH for poor and marginalised people through policy development/ operationalisation, developing/ suggesting standards, coordinating between various government ministries and departments and engaging with relevant networks/ alliances and academia at the national and state/ region levels. The overarching strategic objective of this position is to maximize policy endeavours and create tangible impact in promoting rights to water and sanitation for all the citizens of Myanmar with focus on the women and the poor marginalized people.
Key working relationships
Internal: Head of Programmes and Policy, staff of WaterAid Myanmar, South Asia Regional Team and WA UK team.
External: Relevant government departments and ministries, partner organisations, consultants, sector stakeholders and other civil society organisations.
· Proactively analyse and review WASH sector policies and plans for promoting pro-poor, gender-sensitive, and sustainable approaches in the sector
· Design and launch issue-based advocacy campaigns to highlight WASH issues at national and state/ regional levels and coordinate to make the process inclusive and consultative
· In consultation with HoPP, provide required level of support for scaling up of WAMM’s successfully demonstrated WASH models through government and other WASH sector partners
· Establish and/ or strengthen the relationships with WASH sector ministries/ departments, UN/ bilateral agencies, INGOs/ CSOs, academia, media and private sector in the country who work for WASH and relevant disciplines for learning and initiating joint programmes
· Keep herself/ himself aware of the national WASH agenda and work of other WASH sector partners adapt these to pursue effectively and collaboratively the WASH policy influencing agenda
· Coordinate with WaterAid’s Regional Advocacy Manager- South Asia and Policy and Campaigns Department (PCD) in UK for shaping WASH policy influencing agenda based on global best practices in WASH and other relevant development sectors
· Develop ToRs and coordinate, commission and/or undertake WASH related thematic research studies
· Demonstrate high quality skills of programme management and leadership while designing and managing WASH policy and advocacy initiatives
· To provide quality inputs in shaping new projects, contributing in new strategic initiatives for influencing WASH policies and developing programme strategies
· Plan implement and review the programme and projects and manage programme budgets and staff
· Design and organise strategic capacity in WASH to support partners/ stakeholders on mutually identified areas for strengthening WAMM’s influencing work at grassroots level
· Assist HoPP in developing strategic documents and systems for the organisational development
· Provide hands on support to HoPP as line manager on various organisational and programmatic matters
· Represent WAMM and its partners’ work at meetings and forums in-country and internationally to continuously strengthen Country Programmes (CP)’s strategic position
· Contribute in key organisational processes and in development/ implementation of plans and documents such as Country Strategic Plan, CP Business Plan, Annual/ Six-month Reports and in other progress reports for government, donors etc.
Take on any other tasks assigned by the line manager
Child Safeguarding Policy
The successful applicant must be required to comply with WaterAid Child Safeguarding Policy and Global code of conduct
Job Requirements/ Person Profile
Education, experience and knowledge
· Post-graduate/ Masters’ degree or equivalent in public health, public policy, development studies or any relevant discipline of social/ natural sciences from a reputed university
· Ability to conduct policy analysis, undertake cutting-edge research and advocacy as well as managing campaigns
· Knowledge of political/ government structure and policy making process in Myanmar would be preferred
· Knowledge on cross linkages of WASH with other relevant sectors like health, education, nutrition, climate change etc.
· Strong networking, coordination, and lobbying skills
· Ability to effectively coordinate with the WaterAid Federation and global country programmes
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Burmese
· Knowledge of WASH and its importance as a key contributor in transforming human lives
· Demonstrated knowledge on WASH sector issues, advocacy networks and social movements in Myanmar and in South-East Asian Region
· Knowledge of INGOs and other related stakeholders related to WASH at different levels
· Attitude to work in a team and ability to work under pressure to meet the dead-lines
· Self-driven and be ready to undertake assigned tasks independently
· Good interpersonal skills and capacity to understand and work with people with diverse backgrounds and motivations
· Possess personal integrity, flexible attitude, strong sense of transparency, proactive stance and respect for organisational culture
· Act sensibly and sensitively on issues pertaining to gender and marginalised groups
Working Conditions This is a country office-based position with frequent travel to field. To work with computer, internet, relevant software and telecommunication including mobile phone network. Technology smartness will be useful for an ambitious person.
How to apply:
Closing date: Thursday 08 August 2019
Applications for this role must comprise of:
· A cover letter showing the interest and eligibility of the applicant (max 1 page)
· A curriculum vitae (max 4 pages). The CV must include at least two professional referees (referees will not be contacted until after interviews, with permission from the candidate)
· Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted
· Any undue pressure to influence the selection process will disqualify the candidacy
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates will be called for written test and interview. Written test and interview will be held in WaterAid Myanmar office in Yangon. A second interview may be requested if required.
WaterAid is committed to welcome people from the widest possible diversity of backgrounds, cultures and experiences. We will make any practical adjustments to enable suitable disable people to participate fully in interview process, and if selected, afterwards in office environment. Please let us know if you have a disability and require any special assistance.
Email your letter and CV to: email@example.com by Thursday 08 August 2019.**
The subject line of your email should read as “Application for Programme Manager -Policy and Advocacy, WaterAid”