About the Organization:
Water For People India initiated its operations in West Bengal in 1996 in Nadia and North 24 Parganas districts. Consistent with the global vision and mission, we exist to promote the development of high-quality drinking water and sanitation services, accessible to all, and sustained by strong communities, businesses, and governments. Our organizational values are: accountability, courage, empowerment, partnership and transparency.
Water For People India programs have been implemented in 20 districts in the states of West Bengal, Bihar, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu and Odisha. In all, nearly 1.2 million people have been reached through community drinking water and sanitation, WASH in public institutions and market led approaches to sanitation. By 2023, Water For People India programs aim to directly benefit 2.7 million people. We aim to build capacities at the district level which will contribute to organizational commitments, thereby indirectly benefitting 14.8 million people. Water For People India implements programs directly and also through locally registered non-government organizations.
Water For People India Trust (hereafter referred to as Water For People – India) came into existence in 2008. Water For People India Trust is an affiliate of Water For People USA.
Water For People India is currently recruiting for the position of Project officer. The position will be responsible to work closely with the team in West Bengal (Kolkata, Hooghly, Howrah and Birbhum) and the initiatives in Assam and Odisha. Focusing on WASH in Facilities and improved hygiene in schools and communities, the programs aim to sustain ODF in these areas with a distinct emphasis on last mile coverage, usage of sanitation facilities and improved WASH behaviours.
The Project Officer should have experience in capacity building and working with the local institutions and government for systems strengthening. The position will be responsible for ensuring the timely completion of all planned capacity building programs including trainings, awareness generation, information education and communication activities. Working closely with the Deputy Manager, Programs, this position will extent field level project monitoring support and report compilation, including case stories to inform program learning.
KEY FUNCTIONS / RESPONSIBILITIES
OVERALL PLANNING, IMPLEMENTATION AND MONITORING OF INITIATIVES:
- As a member of the core team, engage in annual planning of activities aligned to the workplans and align capacity building programs for effective implementation
- Engage with the teams in various locations to develop quarterly implementation plans and budgets
- Participate in annual review and reflection sessions, for development of plans for forthcoming year(s).
CAPACITY BUILDING INITIATIVES:
- Assist the team to develop the yearly capacity building program plan in line with Water For People India Trust Country goals and strategies and grants specific commitments.
- Engage in the development of training materials and modules, participatory activities, toolkits for effectively imparting trainings and other capacity building activities
- Support in developing IEC materials in coordination with program team and SBCC expert.
- Build capacity of a pool of trainers for implementing trainings, awareness programs and information, education and communication activities
- Lead/support the team to implement high quality capacity building activities including trainings; information, education and communication and awareness generation programs with a range of stakeholders (community based institutions, local governance and local government officials) for sanitation, sustaining ODF, operations and maintenance and systems strengthening.
- Support the field team at project locations for proper training need assessment before the training, pre-test and post-test to understand the knowledge level before and after training.
- Provide necessary handholding support to the teams for conducting ‘post training follow ups’
- Contribute to develop guidelines, technical notes to improve the training program quality
- Organise preparatory activities, coordination internal and external resources in capacity building of implementation team members.
- Responsible for collating all information on training programs organized (participants, areas of capacity building, representation of women and children, key influencers etc.).
- Prepare/review training budgets and expenses incurred, verification of event reports and other necessary documentation;
- Support the teams in developing field movement plans and suggest cost effectiveness in activities organised
- Document case stories, process documentation and changes witnessed owing to capacity building activities and any other field documentation.
- Maintain and improve healthy working relationship between Water for People-India Trust program management team and field team for mutual trust, image building and collaborative efforts.
DOCUMENTATION AND MONITORING :
- Extend support to the Program Management Team in submission of Monthly progress reports, quarterly and annual reports
- Work with the line manager in development of project proposals, especially collation of information from the projects/MIS
- Extend Field Monitoring support as and when required
- Provide assistance to the line manager in any planning, implementation and monitoring activities
- Represent Water For People’s capacity building work during field visits of teams, external representations, government and non government representations.
Any other task assigned by the line manager
Travel Time: Up to 70%
- Post-graduation in Social Sciences; Management (or any equivalent field)
- Expertise in at least one of the following areas: (i) Sanitation/School WASH; (ii) Social Behaviour Change communication; (iii) capacity building on WASH, especially of local governance and PRIs.
- Minimum 3-5 years of relevant experience in similar organizational/ functional context
- Prior experience of working in West Bengal (At least 3 years).
- Experience of working with government stakeholders in Capacity Building programs would be an added advantage.
Skills and Competencies:
- Holistic understanding of the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion and inter-sectoral linkages.
- Analytical ability to analyse policies and implementation strategies of government programs.
- Excellent communication and networking skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to forge effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders (at senior levels)
- Ability to manage, develop and motivate team to maximize their potential and drive performance.
- Ability to meet deadlines and achieve results, while maintaining congeniality and professionalism.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office and knowledge of GIS will be added advantage.
- Should be comfortable in speaking, reading and writing Bengali
Application Process & Last Date:
Eligible candidates with relevant experience should send:
- Covering letter
- Updated resume
- Details of three references
- Current and Expected compensation
Please send in your application with above details to by or before 05th August 2019. Please mention “Application for the post of Project Officer” in the subject line. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Water For People India is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and encourages diversity among staff. Well qualified women candidates, are encouraged to apply
Job Email id: Indiacareers(at)waterforpeople.org