About the Organization:
Water For People India initiated its operations in West Bengal in 1996 in Nadia and North 24 Parganas districts. Consistent with the global vision and mission, we exist to promote the development of high-quality drinking water and sanitation services, accessible to all, and sustained by strong communities, businesses, and governments. Our organizational values are: accountability, courage, empowerment, partnership and transparency.
Water For People India programs have been implemented in 20 districts in the states of West Bengal, Bihar, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu and Odisha. In all, nearly 1.2 million people have been reached through community drinking water and sanitation, WASH in public institutions and market led approaches to sanitation. By 2023, Water For People India programs aim to directly benefit 2.7 million people. We aim to build capacities at the district level which will contribute to organizational commitments, thereby indirectly benefitting 14.8 million people. Water For People India implements programs directly and also through locally registered non-government organizations.
Water For People India Trust (hereafter referred to as Water For People – India) came into existence in 2008. Water For People India Trust is an affiliate of Water For People USA.
Water For People India is currently recruiting for the position of Project Coordinator. The position is responsible for managing Water For People India’s Block Transformation Initiative supported by the National Stock Exchange Foundation India in Birbhum District, West Bengal. The initiative focuses on sustained WASH in Facilities and improved hygiene among children in anganwadi centres, schools and tribal schools (if any). Aligned to the program objective of sustained ODF, the initiative will focus on Community Sanitation in terms of coverage, usage and improved behaviours.
KEY FUNCTIONS / RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage baseline studies and assessments to establish the status of key water and sanitation indicators in schools and communities.
- Engage in the development of program strategy towards block transformation – focusing on Improved WASH in facilities and communities
- Identify possible collaborations for implementation, technical support, scaling up and replication.
- Develop mechanisms for synergistic efforts of partner organizations/program components, coordinated interface with the local government Institutions an other stakeholders in the district.
- Develop an annual detailed plan for implementation of the initiative.
- Develop program budgets and possible areas for mobilizing co-finance.
Programme Management and Implementation in the District:
- Manage, implement and monitor interventions within agreed timelines as per annual plans
- Ensure following all guidelines related to procurements, program implementation and program quality as developed at the inception of the program
- Develop field movement plans and engage with teams to facilitate seamless implementation of the program
- Specifically engage in the institution building components and ensure routine follow up at the schools and communities is maintained
- Establish routine program review process with the teams and stakeholders (government, other development players)
- Present program progress through regular and periodic review meetings
- Bring to the attention of the line manager/senior management, any issues affecting achievement of program outcomes and suggest mitigation measures
- Responsible for submission of high quality reports on monthly, quarterly, bi-annual and annual progress (both narrative and financial).
- Review all budgets and expenses related to program and necessary authorization as per the specified authority limits
- Engage with the finance team for monthly monitoring of program finances against operational plans and budgets, in line with the guidelines of the Donor/s and Water For People India as well as the statutory requirements.
- Support all program assessments, audits and compliance reviews and ensure integration of all recommendations
- In consultation with the communications team/point person, manage a local level process documentation on program approaches and processes, components and monitoring data.
- Guide and support program team and implementing partners to achieve program objectives.
- Engage with the team on monthly plans and monitoring of activities and budget utilisation, coordinate for fund flow and financial protocols.
- Manage technical and academic collaborations established under the initiative.
Donor Management :
- With support from the line manager, follow and adopt program compliances.
- Collaborate and participate for effective management of donor relationship.
- Participate in routine calls and communication with the donor, Water For People India team to share updates on program progress, achievements, challenges and data related queries (programmatic and financial).
- Provide required documents for sharing updates and draft any specific requests for Water For People India management/donor.
- Organize, engage and participate in all on-site visits, meetings and consultations, events at the project location.
MONITORING AND EVALUATION
- Implement/support all monitoring and evaluation activities.
- Maintain an up-to-date monitoring data against the programme framework and specifically, data on programme coverage/reach, key programme indicators, target groups etc.
- Ensure data from monitoring and evaluation is used for mid course correction and strengthening the program.
- Engage in the identification, documentation and dissemination of best practices and learnings at the district and state level.
- Lead/support/coordinate any training programmes for teams, partner organisations and other stakeholders
Any other task assigned by the line manager
Travel Time: Up to 60%
- Post-graduation in Social Sciences; Management (or any equivalent field)
- Expertise in at least one of the following areas: (i) Sanitation/School WASH; (ii) Social Behaviour Change communication; (iii) capacity building on WASH, especially of local governance and PRIs.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in similar organizational/ functional context
- Prior experience of working in West Bengal (At least 3 years).
- Experience of working with government stakeholders and government liaising would be preferred.
Skills and Competencies:
- Holistic understanding of the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion and inter-sectoral linkages.
- Analytical ability to analyse policies and implementation strategies of government programs.
- Excellent communication and networking skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to forge effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders (at senior levels)
- Ability to manage, develop and motivate team to maximize their potential and drive performance.
- Ability to meet deadlines and achieve results, while maintaining congeniality and professionalism.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office and knowledge of GIS will be added advantage.
- Should be comfortable in speaking, reading and writing Bengali
Application Process & Last Date:
Eligible candidates with relevant experience should send:
- Covering letter
- Updated resume
- Details of three references
- Current and Expected compensation
Please send in your application with above details to by or before 05th August 2019. Please mention “Application for the post of Project Coordinator” in the subject line. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Water For People India is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and encourages diversity among staff. Well qualified women candidates, are encouraged to apply.
Job Email id: Indiacareers(at)waterforpeople.org