The FAO Representation in Uganda provides technical assistance to the Government of Uganda in the agriculture, forestry, fisheries and related sectors. The Climate Change Specialists will support the planning, implementation and monitoring of GCP/UGA/054/EC project entitled “Global Climate Change Alliance plus (GCCA+)”; GCP/UGA/055/SWE project entitled “Climate Resilient Women Economic Empowerment (CRWEE)” and GCP/UGA/043/LDF project entitled “Integrating climate resilience into agricultural and pastoral production in Uganda, through a Farmer/Agro-pastoralist Field School Approach” funded by the European Union, Government of Sweden, and Global Environment Facility, respectively. These projects aim to strengthen key government institutions at central and decentralized levels and build the resilience of communities in the face of a changing climate.
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Uganda, in collaboration with the Deputy FAO Representative, National Project Managers and Heads of Sub Offices, the Climate Change Specialist reports directly to the Team Leader – Climate Change Program.
The Climate Change Specialist will provide technical leadership in planning, implementing and monitoring all aspects of climate change interventions.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Climate Change Specialist will be responsible for the following:
- Provide technical leadership and organizational support in the management of GCCA+ and CRWEE projects
- Coordinate the identification and promotion of potentially suitable climate change (CC) adaptation and mitigation practices for enhanced climate resilience of farming households and communities; and contribute to validating potential CC adaption and mitigation options against technical criteria for location specific suitability
- Prepare detailed implementation guidelines for each of the climate change adaptation and mitigation options selected for field demonstrations and field application, this includes to the development and integration of monitoring indicators for each CC adaptation and mitigation options (for qualitative monitoring) and the and documentation requirements;
- Support in drafting and/ or review of CC adaptation and mitigation related contracts, letters of agreements, terms of reference, subcontracting and partnerships with appropriate organizations and partners, ensuring good management of financial resources; and monitoring and evaluation of each contract.
- Provide relevant training to strengthen the capacity of project counterparts such as communities and farmer representatives on the technical implementation requirements of selected options;
- Coordinate the up-scaling /replication of adaptation and mitigation best practices at community level in the target Districts
- Contribute to the development of capacity building tools and activities related to climate change, especially on adaptation and mitigation; Support knowledge sharing and promotion on climate-smart agriculture concept, especially on conservation agriculture schemes
- Provide leadership and support in planning and implementation of climate resilient research on crops and local seed systems; Provide inputs and technical advice to community based adaptation planning and implementation processes
- Consolidate and produce quarterly reports (across the three result areas) to the Project Manager
- Working with Gender Focal Point to ensure the mainstream Gender into the climate change and mitigation best practices
- Coordinate CC related research and documentation and sharing results; and
- Perform any other duty as required
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in food security, agriculture (Crop Production, Livestock Production and Soil Science), water resources management, agricultural engineering (Soil and water management), natural resource management or related fields.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in Climate Change, Sustainable Land Management, ecosystem management and natural resources management or related fields.
- Working knowledge of English
- National of Uganda
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Extent and relevance of experience and knowledge on climate change adaptation and mitigation in Uganda
- Extent and relevance of experience and Knowledge on watershed management, water management, Sustainable Land Management, disaster risk reduction, agriculture development (Crop and Livestock production), pasture development and agro-forestry development
- Extent and relevance of experience and knowledge on monitoring and evaluating climate change projects
- Familiarity with advanced computer applications involving data analysis, GIS, and remote sensing
- Previous experience in providing training to local communities
- Extent of knowledge and experience on gender issues
- Extent of knowledge and experiences in working with various stakeholders in Uganda including UN, Government, NGOs, private sector, academics, and others
- Writing and communication skills
- Ability to manage a high workload, meet tight deadlines and multi-task under pressure