Called the “hottest non-profit on the planet” by FORTUNE magazine and a Top 50 Website by TIME, Kiva (www.kiva.org) is the world’s first personal micro-lending marketplace with a mission to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty. In just 10 years, Kiva has raised over $900 million for more than 2 million borrowers in over 80 countries. Kiva combines the culture and approach of an internet start-up with an intense focus on alleviating poverty and serving the borrower-to-lender connection. Kiva’s lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. Kiva is poised to take its initial success to a whole new level – targeting $1 billion in loans by 2017 and continued expansion into new areas (e.g. student loans, water, mobile, etc.). Headquartered in San Francisco, Kiva’s team has 100+ employees and 500+ volunteers worldwide.
Kiva’s Partnerships team works primarily with Field Partners who post borrower profiles from all over the world onto the Kiva website. The team is responsible for sourcing, monitoring and managing relationships with Field Partners, training Partners, reviewing their loan profiles prior to public release, and ensuring that existing Partners are compliant with Kiva policies and aligned with Kiva’s social mission and strategic focus. The Partnerships team includes Portfolio Operations, the Review and Translation Program, Strategic Initiatives, and three regional teams focused on managing partnerships in Europe & Asia, Africa & the Middle East, and Latin America & Caribbean. We are looking for a talented and highly motivated rock star professional to join our team.
The Portfolio Manager for Latin America & the Caribbean reports to the Regional Director for Latin America & the Caribbean and will be responsible for developing, fostering, and supporting relationships with the Kiva Field Partners within countries in Latin America & the Caribbean. This position is based in Mexico City, Mexico. In addition to prospecting for new partners, this role provides onboarding, training, and operational support to Field Partners to ensure compliance with Kiva policies and the effective and efficient use of Kiva systems. The ideal candidate is a flexible and positive team player who is passionate about Kiva’s mission and is able to design creative solutions to challenging problems.
- Partner Management — Monitor assigned partnerships (both remotely and in-person), including tracking financial performance, monitoring credit risk and social performance to ensure Kiva’s investments are impactful, and aligned with Kiva’s goals and mission. Provide updates to lenders on partners’ risk and social performance status as necessary.
- Partner Monitoring – In collaboration with Regional Team, monitor all partners for compliance with Kiva policies, and adjust Kiva funding as necessary.
- Business Development —Develop extensive network to source and recruit new Partner organizations. Screen potential Partners, review Partner applications, accept/reject applications from Partners, as necessary.
- Due Diligence— Conduct desk review and onsite due diligence for new potential partner organizations in the region to understand and assess financial management, social performance, and mission fit with Kiva. Present potential new Partners for approval.
- Provide Partner Support— Act as the key point person at Kiva for field Partners, communicate Kiva mission, vision and strategies. Assist in onboarding approved partners, act as liaison between Kiva and the Partners, communicate Kiva policy to partners and update Kiva on any new Partner developments and/or issues. Provide assistance, as needed, to resolve issues faced by the Partners such as trouble accessing tools provided by Kiva.
- Manage Volunteers— Oversee Kiva Fellows including assisting with Training Week and providing supervision and guidance throughout the Fellow’s placement. Develop a work plan and review each Fellow’s deliverables on an ongoing basis.
- 2-5 years’ work experience in Finance, and/or Social impact business role.
- Fluency in Spanish is required; Portuguese & French preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s preferred.
- Experience in Microfinance industry, Non-profits, Social Enterprise, or Financial sector in general.
- Ability to network extensively and manage relationships.
- Flexible and willing to adjust schedule in working across varying time zones.
- Comfortable travelling extensively when needed, and working remotely in developing countries.
- Cultural sensitivity.
- Strong communication skills including the ability to tailor communications to a wide variety of audiences and stakeholders.
- Ability to manage time well and prioritize across competing tasks.
- Comfortable designing and delivering trainings to individuals and groups.
- Tech savvy. Proficient in MS Office and adept at learning and using web-based platforms.
- Able to travel up to 30% of the time and to adapt to the various work environments travel presents.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva’s culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!