Nepal nationals: Individual National Consultancy to support review of disaster risk management (DRM) and climate, energy and environment related policies and institutions and develop strategy to integrate child centered approach in DRM
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child
The purpose of the consultancy is to review the recent DRM, CEE and other sectoral (Education, WASH, Health, Nutrition, Child/Social Protection) acts, regulations, policies, framework, strategies, plans, including annual and periodic plan at different tiers of government (federal, provincial and local)) from child rights perspectives in order to identify key strengths and gaps and come up with an advocacy strategy for integrating children’s perspective in the ongoing and future disaster resilience initiatives including through the integration of the child centered approach to DRM in Nepal.
- Conduct a comprehensive mapping of existing DRR, CEE and sectoral (Education, WASH, Health, Nutrition, Child/Social Protection) acts, regulations, policies, framework, strategies, plans, including annual and periodic plans in terms of what exists at federal, provincial and local level and what needs to be developed/amended at which level (federal, provincial and local?).
- Assess existing legislations from children’s perspectives to identify key strengths and gaps and come up with specific recommendation for integrating children’s issues in the future.
- Analyze the implementation status of the available DRR/CEE/Sectoral (Education, WASH, Health, Nutrition, Child/Social Protection) acts/policies/strategies/plans - whether these are being properly implemented? If not, what are the bottlenecks?
- Review the interlinkages of the different policy, strategies and how they complement to and/or contradict with child centred approach?
- Consult with the relevant stakeholders to identify opportunities to influence the change (when is the plan to revise/draft new policy? for example)
- Based on the analysis above, which will help establish how enabling is the overall DRR and CEE policy landscape in terms of integrating child centered approach to DRR and CCA action in the future, develop a strategy to scale up child centered approach considering the current opportunities, CCDRR evaluation findings and UNICEF’s learning from the implementation of CCDRR programme over the last five years.
Duration of the contract
The total duration of this consultancy is for 90 days spread over 4.5 months, tentative starting from August to December 2019.
- Submission of inception report with a clear methodology, timeline and plan for all deliverables
- Submission of comprehensive report with an analysis of existing DRR, CEE and Sectoral (Education, WASH, Health, Nutrition, Child/Social Protection) acts, regulations, policies, framework, strategies and plans showing what exists and what needs to be developed/revised at federal, provincial and local level.
- Submission of analytical report/s highlighting major strengths and gaps (from child centred perspective), key opportunities to influence ongoing policy process and outcome at federal, provincial and local levels.
- Submission of strategy and action plan that contributes to strengthen child friendly and child inclusive DRM in Nepal in line with the existing local, provincial and federal policies and priorities.
Minimum Qualifications Required
- Master’s degree in social science, English language or literature or relevant area. Degree on DRM and CEE will be an added advantage.
- Should be able to analyse DRM/CEE/Sectoral policies and programmes through the lens of children and advise UNICEF on gaps and priorities in the context of UNICEF’s Country Programme.
- Five years of experience on policy analysis and strategy planning at national or international level.
- Excellent network with relevant agencies, stakeholders and networks working on DRM, CEE and UNICEF programme sectors.
- Work experience with government agencies and UN agencies.
- Previous working experience with UNICEF, particularly familiarity with the CCDRR programme context is strongly preferred.
Opening Date Thu Jul 25 2019 05:15:00 GMT+0200 (Central European Summer Time) Nepal Standard Time
Closing Date Wed Jul 31 2019 20:10:00 GMT+0200 (Central European Summer Time)