Local recruitment: Policy and Institutional Support Specialist
Objective and Purpose of the Assignment
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has provided a capacity development technical assistance, TA 9576-PAK: Climate-Resilient Water Resources Management (the TA”) as an associated technical assistance with the ADB’s loan project; L3700-PAL(COL): Balochistan Water Resources Development Sector Project (BWRDSP) to the Government of Balochistan (GoB) through the Government of Pakistan (GOP). The Irrigation Department (ID), GoB is the executing agency and the Agriculture and Cooperative Department (ACD) is the implementing agency for the TA. ADB will administer the TA and will select and supervise the consultants. The TA will be implemented through a project management office (PMO) and a project implementation office (PIO) under the GoB in Quetta, Pakistan. Balochistan is highly vulnerable to climate change impacts that threaten resource-poor farmers and women in rural communities. The GoB approved an integrated water resources management (IWRM) policy in 2006 with ADB’s support. The policy provides a comprehensive framework for the province to address water
management and development applying comprehensive river basin development. The BWRDSP will adopt the IWRM approach for the irrigation development activities. Balochistan lacks a provincial climate change policy, despite its facing increased impacts from climatic variability coupled with extreme drought and flood events; meanwhile, the existing IWRM policy of 2006 does not address potential climate change risks, including droughts, floods, and groundwater depletion. The TA will help strengthen Balochistan’s institutional capacity in building climate-resilient and sustainable water resources management mechanisms.
The implementation of the TA will require a total of 22 person-months of international and 69 person-months national consulting services to be delivered by a firm and 4 individual consultants. The TA has two quality-and cost-based selection packages for (i) water resources studies; (ii) water resources information system (WRIS) establishment; and 4 individual consultants selections including (i) Water Resources Sector Specialist (international), (ii) Capacity Development Specialist (international), (iii) Water Management Specialist and TA Coordinator (national), and (iv) this position (national).
Scope of Work
The specialist will support ADB TA Team, and TA’s executing agency and implementing agency in delivering the TA’s three major outputs; (i) knowledge, policy and regulatory frameworks enhanced and updated for improved climate -resilient water resources management (WRM); (ii) improved design and infrastructure of WRIS, applying satellite remote-sensing technology; and (iii) increased institutional capacity and skills related to efficient use of water for climate-resilient WRM, in close collaboration with the firm consultants and other individual consultants recruited by the TA.
Detailed Tasks and/or Expected Output
- (i) Assist the government including Balochistan Irrigation Department (BID) and Balochistan Agriculture Department (BAD) in processing and obtaining internal approvals of the updated IWRM policies and updated laws, regulations, sector plans related to climate-resilient WRM, and a water resources information system supported by GIS/remote-sensing technology that will be prepared by the TA firm consultants;
- (ii) Collect data and information of the current implementation state of the existing relevant policies and associated laws and regulations related to water resources management and climate change mitigation and adaptation measures by the GoB, and review and asses them;
- (iii) Asses the institutional capacity of the GoB, especially BID and BAD, to carry out the execution of climate-resilient policies with associated laws and regulation;
- (iv) Identify gaps and challenges in the institutional capacity of BID and BAD to implement the updated IWRM policy with climate-resilient approach;
- (v) Prepare recommended measures to address such gaps and challenges to improve the institutional capacity of policy execution in BID and BAD;
- (vi) Support BID and BAD in improving their institutional capacity and organizational mechanism to execute updated policies, laws and regulations for a long-term;
- (vii) Provide support ensuring technical alignment between the activities and deliverables of this TA and by the Grant component as required;
- (viii) Join ADB TA review missions and attend relevant meetings as required;
- (ix) Work closely with other consultants working under the TA; and
- (x) Any other assignment jointly agreed between the TA Project Officer and the Specialist.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
The specialist should have at least a bachelor’s degree and preferably a master’s degree in water resources, agriculture engineering or other relevant discipline. The specialist should have a minimum of 7 years work experience in policy and institutional coordination in water resources and agriculture management including climate change. And be familiar with the government’s procedures of policy preparation, updates, approvals, and execution. Experience in climate resilient water resources management projects, financed by ADB and/or the World Bank would be an advantage. Work experience in Balochistan province in water resources management would also be an advantage.