Intern: Environmental Affairs
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system. UN Environment’s mission is to provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment. We aim to achieve this mission by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations.
UN Environment’s Economy Division supports partners across governments, private sector and civil society to develop and implement policies, strategies and practices for sustainable development. Located within the Economy Division, the Resources and Markets Branch enhances the capacity of partners to integrate environmental considerations into economic policies and practices. A particular focus of Resources and Markets Branch is UN Environment’s work related to Green Economy.
The Partnership for Action on Green Economy (PAGE) brings together expertise and guidance of five UN agencies and eight funding partner countries to assist eighteen countries in their sustainable development. PAGE’s assistance spans the three economic, environmental and social pillars of sustainability to support the countries’ achievement of Sustainable Development Goals and the climate agenda. Specifically, PAGE seeks to put sustainability at the heart of economic policies and practices to transform brown economies into inclusive green economies. More information on PAGE is available at the PAGE website (www.un-page.org).
- The PAGE internship is for 3- 6 months.
- The Internship is UNPAID and full-time.
- Interns work five days per week (35-40 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
The intern will work with Secretariat of the Partnership for Action on Green Economy housed in the Resources Markets Branch, UN Environment. More specifically, the intern will support the following tasks:
- Support coordination and tracking of country work progress across five UN agencies and local offices.
- Support drafting and editing of PAGE documents, publications, reports, newsletters, regular updates, social media and other communication materials.
- Support preparation and implementation of PAGE global and regional events
- Support oganisation of meetings, webinars and workshops, including by developing and coordinating meeting documents, logistics and/or other resources
- Support other activities as requested.
Applicants must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
- Be computer literate in standard software applications.
- Recent graduates (within 1 year of graduation from last academic degree), current students who are enrolled in final year of undergraduate degree, Master’s or PhD programme in Economics, Public Policy, Public Administration, Environmental Science, Communications or a related area.
Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the programme.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position(s) advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French and Spanish is desirable. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
Potential candidates will be contacted by hiring manager directly for further consideration.
Your application for this internship must include:
- A Completed application (Personal History Profile) and Cover Note, through the UN careers Portal. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- The Cover Note must include:
- Title of the degree you are currently pursuing
- Graduation Date
- IT skills and programmes you are proficient in
- Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship
Explain your interest in the United Nations Internship Programme, ensure to include all past work experience (if any).
- Proof of enrollment from current University (if not graduated).
- A copy of degree certificate (if you have already graduated).