The International Hydropower Association (IHA) is a non-profit membership organisation which works with its members and partners to build and share knowledge on hydropower’s role in renewable energy systems, responsible freshwater management and climate change solutions. Our membership includes more than 100 organisations as well as individual members who share our vision to deliver water and energy services to all in a sustainable way.
IHA is a champion of international good practices and continuous improvement in hydropower planning, development and operation. Our programmes increase awareness of hydropower’s role in the clean energy transition and promote collaborative approaches to river basin development. We monitor the hydropower sector, publish acclaimed publications and develop innovative tools and guides for practitioners and decision-makers.
Every two years, IHA organises the World Hydropower Congress, a high-level event that brings together leaders from government, industry, finance, United Nations agencies, academia and civil society to set priorities for the future of the hydropower sector.
As Communications Officer, you will deliver a range of communications to promote IHA’s work programmes and support the promotion of publications and events such as the World Hydropower Congress.
Reporting to the Head of Communications, you will work closely with our Membership, Sustainability and Knowledge Building teams to deliver the organisation’s communications strategy, generating engaging content and working closely with partners and members.
- Researching, writing and copy-editing editorial content including news stories, feature articles, press releases and briefings.
- Providing support and guidance to IHA’s Sustainability and Knowledge Building teams to help communicate their activities and achievements.
- Delivering IHA’s digital strategy and managing a suite of web and social media platforms, in particular LinkedIn and Twitter.
- Coordinating communications for events and workshops, as well as online webinars.
- Acting as a community manager and generating engaging and informative content for Hydropower Pro, IHA’s new online platform and mobile app for members.
- Designing and managing regular email marketing communications.
- Supporting IHA’s communications strategy for the World Hydropower Congress, with a focus on website, digital and print communications.
- Supporting the production and layout of digital and printed materials, including the flagship Hydropower Status Report, infographics and briefings.
- Supporting marketing initiatives, managing email marketing and e-newsletters, and the design and placement of advertisements.
- Monitoring and reporting on media activity and coverage.
- Managing contacts data using Customer Relationship Management software.
- Responding to enquiries from IHA members and the public.
- Championing IHA’s brand guidelines and house editorial style.
Essential skills and attributes:
- Degree-level education and at least two years’ experience in a similar professional role.
- Excellent copy-writing and copy-editing skills, with the ability to write for a variety of audiences.
- Proven ability to turn complex and technical information into accessible and engaging content.
- Experience in using website content management systems and social media platforms.
- Understanding of good practices in brand management and marketing.
- Experience in advising colleagues on appropriate communications tactics.
- Ability to adapt to a busy environment, managing and prioritising competing deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills, but able to work independently and perform under pressure.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
Desirable skills and attributes:
- Experience working in water, energy, environmental, sustainability or international development sectors.
- Experience working in a membership body or an international organisation.
- Experience working as a journalist, news writer or editor.
- Experience using Drupul and Wordpress CMS systems.
- Experience using Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator.
- Willingness to travel internationally on occasion if required.
- Experience in managing projects.
- Experience in using a CRM system.
- Experience of using video editing software.
- Additional languages.
Candidates should send their CV and a cover letter explaining their interest in working for IHA and how their experience, skills and attributes align with the role.
The cover letter should also confirm your eligibility to work in the UK and your willingness to travel internationally if required. These documents should be sent by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the following text in the subject of the email: ‘IHA Communications Officer application’.