Internship (Hydropower Development)
The International Hydropower Association (IHA) is a non-profit membership organisation which works with its members and partners to build and share knowledge on hydropower’s role in renewable energy systems, responsible freshwater management and climate change solutions. Our membership includes more than 100 organisations as well as individual members who share our vision to deliver water and energy services to all in a sustainable way.
IHA is recruiting an intern with an interest in hydropower to support several workstreams within the Hydropower Development Team, particularly our modernisation work programme.
Our work covers a broad range and includes sector monitoring and management of our global database on hydropower. We build and share knowledge on topics such as: climate mitigation, climate resilience and adaptation, sediment management, benefit assessment of hydropower, river basin development, operations and maintenance, modernisation, finance and investment, clean energy systems, water footprint and regional interconnections.
We collaborate closely with our extensive network of members and partners to deliver on these topics. Our partners include research institutions, non-governmental organisations, governments, international financial institutions and development agencies.
- Assist in gathering and analysing data on hydropower stations’ key characteristics to help assess their modernisation needs.
- Support research and report on modernisation initiatives and approaches taking place in key countries.
- Assist the team in researching and collecting relevant literature and data to contribute to country and regional hydropower profiles.
- Assist in the organisation of surveys, webinars, and workshops.
Essential skills and attributes:
- University level education in electromechanical engineering, mechanical engineering, or civil engineering.
- Knowledge related to renewable energy, hydropower, and/or climate challenges.
- Be computer literate in standard software applications, especially Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Fluency in English and knowledge of Russian (highly desirable).
- Strong communication skills; written and oral.
- A strong team player, but able to work independently and under time constraints.
- Be able to work in multi-disciplinary and international environments.
Desirable skills and attributes:
- Master’s degree level
- Database management experience.
- Experience in analysing and communicating statistical information.
- Experience in hydropower, climate change adaptation, finance and investment, and/or environmental policies.
Candidates should send their CV, cover letter and completed internship form (below) to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line ‘IHA Hydropower Development Internship'.