Uganda nationals: Water Management Specialist
The FAO Representation in Uganda provides technical assistance to the Government of Uganda in the agriculture, forestry, fisheries and related sectors. The Water Management Specialist will support the community planning, implementation and monitoring of GCP/UGA/043/LDF project entitled “Integrating climate resilience into agricultural and pastoral production in Uganda, through a Farmer/Agro-pastoralist Field School Approach”. This projects aim to strengthen key government institutions at central and decentralized levels and build the resilience of communities in the face of a changing climate.
Under the overall guidance of the FAO Representative in Uganda and in close collaboration with the Deputy FAO Representative and the Team Leader Climate Change Program, the Water Management Specialist will be under the direct supervision of the National Project Coordinator.
The water management specialist will provide support to the Project Management Unit (PMU) and all project staff with regards to the water management practices to be promoted through the project, both through the Agro Pastoral (AP) /Farmer Field School (FFS) and through the investment pilots.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Water Management Specialist will:
- Ensure that the most suited and most resilient water management practices are implemented based on the specificities of the project sites and communities.
- Provide support in the development of the AP/FFS trainings to ensure that proper water management practices are included in AP/FFS trainings
- Explore potential for ground and surface water use / development as well as rainwater harvesting for irrigation in the target project districts
- In collaboration with Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries (MAAIF), coordinate the development of Terms of Reference/ implementation concepts with respect to planning and development of small scale agriculture water management systems
- Carry out monitoring visits to implementing partners and project beneficiaries during project implementation;
- Work closely with Gender Officer to ensure the all the water schemes are gender responsive and leading to gender transformation of roles and responsibility, decision making and participation.
- prepare project reports and other ad-hoc reports on project activities as and when required
- Perform other related duties as required.
- University Degree in Agricultural Engineering, Civil Engineering, Water Resource Engineering or related fields.
- At least three years of relevant experience in water management and irrigation development, Climate Smart Agriculture or related fields.
- Working knowledge of English
- National of Uganda
- Extent of experience and knowledge in water management and irrigation development for agriculture production
- Extent and relevance of experience and knowledge on climate change
- Extent of knowledge and experiences in working with various stakeholders in Uganda including UN, Government, NGOs, private sector, academics, and others
- Writing and communication skills
- Ability to manage a high workload, meet tight deadlines and multi-task under pressure
- Extent of experience with international organizations, non-government institutions/organizations, and donors in a multi-cultural setting.
- Extent of experience in more than one location or area of work