ATREE is looking to science writer, in the area of biodiversity, forests, water, and climate change. Science writers play an essential role in advancing the social and political conversation about science by communicating research effectively.
The science writer will be responsible for:
- Producing popular articles for publication in print and online according to agreed style and keeping to strict deadlines
- Conducting interviews with ATREE researchers to help them “tell a story”.
- Attending on workshops, events and conferences organised by ATREE for social media engagement, press releases etc.
- Reading and summarising scientific papers and reports to prepare press releases and social media posts in consultation with the researchers.
- Reviewing and amending work in response to editor feedback and selecting appropriate artwork to accompany articles.
This is an entry level position that reports to the conveners of ATREE’s Centre for Biodiversity Conservation and Centre for Environment and Development.
The ideal candidate needs to have:
- a degree in Science with exposure/interest in writing or a Communications/English degree and a strong interest and understanding of science and sustainability issues
- excellent written and oral communication skills,
- ability to understand the nuances of science, but also have the talent to write engaging, interesting and concise copy
- the ability to think logically and understand complex ideas and data
- willingness to work under pressure to deadlines
- resilience, flexibility, persistence and self-motivation
Please send your CV to by 20 July, 2019. Positions will remain open until they are filled.