The Interamerican Association for Environmental Defense (AIDA) seeks a full-time attorney for their work in the Andean region (Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru). The position is open for Latin American attorneys, preferably from one of the above mentioned Andean countries, with experience in litigation and consulting on environmental law with relation to development projects. The position will be based in any of the mentioned countries. The applicant must demonstrate a clear commitment to working on issues of public interest and have show a history of excellent professional and academic performance.
AIDA is a regional non-profit organization that works across borders in Latin America to protect threatened ecosystems and the communities that depend upon them.
The chosen candidate will report to AIDA’s senior freshwater program attorney.
- Implement the work of the freshwater preservation program, under the supervision of the senior attorney, and assist where necessary AIDA’s climate change, human rights and marine biodiversity programs.
- Conduct litigation, provide legal advice, and engage in national and international advocacy to confront large-scale development projects, particularly large dams, mining, and other extractive industries.
- Lead, in coordination with the senior attorney, AIDA’s participation in the Latin American Alliance on Fracking and the Environmental Justice Network of Bolivia.
- Advance political and legal processes regarding fracking, at regional, national and local levels.
- Support the capacity building of Bolivian organizations in terms of strategic litigation, advocacy and international environmental law. Build and strengthen alliances and synergies with organizations, universities, social movements and citizens in Bolivia.
- Represent AIDA in networks of which we are a part, and ensure excellent dialogue with relevant stakeholders. Support communications in spreading the work about the organization. Write blogs, articles, press releases and web pages. Represent AIDA before the media, when necessary.
- Fundraising support. Prepare and review reports and proposals for donors.
- Conduct regular analysis of the political context of the countries in the Andean region, to keep AIDA’s opportunities for action updated.
- Participate in the internal development and capacity building of AIDA.
- Supervise the work on interns and volunteers with the team.
- Degree in law and professional license as an attorney in a Latin American country, preferably in the Andean region. Minimum of three years of relevant work experience in litigation and / or consulting on environmental law.
- Experience in dialogue with non-government organizations, social organizations, communities and decision-makers.
- Clear, concise and professional writing in Spanish, and fluency in written and spoken English.
- Ability to travel. Willingness to complete administrative activities, communication tasks, and event organization.
- Discretion and tact when handling sensitive or confidential manners.
- Capacity to work independently as well as in a team; willingness to receive feedback and be supervised.
Other selection criteria:
- Graduate degree in related fields.
Demonstrated leadership skills, legal judgment, initiative, creativity, and the ability to think strategically and develop innovative solutions.
- Knowledge and experience in issues of extractive industries, dams and infrastructure.
- Ability to facilitate groups and networks.
- Excellent public speaking skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
Terms and Conditions
- Location: Andean region.
- Salary: Negotiable, based on experience and workplace.
- Contract: Independent contractor for one year, with possibility of renewal.
- Letter of interest in the position, indicating relevant experience and why you would be the ideal candidate for the job.
- Updated resume or CV.
- Short writing sample in Spanish (no more than two pages).
- Short writing sample in English (no more than two pages).
- Three references (at least one of which is from a recent employer).
- Applicants must submit all application materials to: [email protected] with “ABOGADA/O PARA REGION ANDINA” in the subject line.
We will only process applications that are complete. Please only communicate via email.
PLEASE APPLY IMMEDIATELY. WE WILL MAKE A JOB OFFER AS SOON AS WE FIND A QUALIFIED PERSON, SO IT IS IMPORTANT YOU SEND YOUR APPLICATION AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
It’s AIDA policy to review all qualified applicants and we reaffirm that there will be no discrimination of applications, employees or qualified volunteers based on age, ancestry, creed, disability, marital status, medical condition, national origin, maternity, race, sex, sexual orientation or war veteran status, or any other issue not relevant to the applicant’s ability to complete the contract.