Development worker as Advisor (m/f/d) to support flood and drought management
The Development Worker is part of the GIZ project on Transboundary Water Cooperation in the Lower Mekong Basin, which aims at improving cooperation between Member Countries of the Mekong River Commission (MRC). The Development Worker will provide technical support to the MRC Regional Flood and Drought Management Center in Phnom Penh to strengthen the forecasting and modelling system. Through the MRC, the Development Worker will also provide technical assistance to the National Mekong Committees to develop a joint master plan on flood and drought management.
This is a regional project supporting the Mekong River Commission, which works with four Member Countries (Laos, Cambodia, Thailand and Vietnam). The Development Worker will be deployed in Cambodia, in support to a technical division of the MRC: Regional Flood and Drought Management Center. The Development Worker will also travel in the region, including trips to Vientiane.
- Strengthen regional flood and drought forecasting products, especially monthly forecasts and seasonal outlooks
- Support the update of the MRC regional flood strategy (2001), including the integration of new drought strategy
- Improve outreach forecasting products and support collaboration with other institutions
- Support National Mekong Committees in Cambodia and Thailand with the preparation of a transboundary flood and drought master plan
- Support capacity building on river basin planning and fundraising for national indicative plans
- Master’s degree in water resource management, natural resources management, water engineering, or any other related fields
- First years of relevant work experience on flood forecasting and/or modelling
- Experience in international cooperation is an advantage
- Strong intercultural competence
- Professional proficiency in English
- Residence: Phnom Penh
- Climate: tropical
- Healthcare: Good services in the Capital
- Shopping and supply options: very good.
- Accessibility: Airport with direct connections to Asia and Europe
- Children: International School (UK, FR, USA) for children from 2 to 18 years old
- Security: Good.
- Regular business trips in the neighbouring provinces and countries (Laos and Thailand).
- Willingness to learn Khmer language
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.