Vietnam nationals: National Programme Specialist for Environment, Bio-diversity, Water and Soil Resources Management
The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations. With presently 194 member states, FAO works in more than 130 countries worldwide, including Vietnam where the Organization has operated since 1978. The current Country Programming Framework (CPF) for the period of 2017‑2021 has four priority areas: (1) Increased food security with focus on alleviation of hunger, malnutrition and food safety concerns; (2) Sustainable development of the agriculture sectors, contributing to the national Green Growth and other strategies on improved natural resources management and environment protection; (3) New Rural Development and Sustainable Poverty Reduction; and (4) Enhancing resilience of communities to disasters and threats. The incumbent’s tasks will largely fall under the second priority area.
Overall supervision: Albert T. Lieberg, FAO Representative in Viet Nam.
Direct supervision: Nguyen Song Ha, Assistant FAO Representative (Programme).
Environment protection, bio-diversity, water and soil resources management.
Tasks and responsibilities
- In close consultation with Assistant FAO Representative (Programme) and under technical guidance from designated FAO Officers in the Country Office, Regional Office or Headquarters, lead country office efforts in the formulation, implementation and closure of relevant FAO programmes/projects in the areas of environment protection, ecosystems preservation, bio-diversity conservation, and water and soil resources management (including global funds, e.g. Global Environmental Facility (GEF) projects) – including supporting the work-planning and monitoring of pipeline development, coordination the timely and quality technical inputs and stakeholders’ feedback in feasibility studies, full proposals, and other technical work that may be required during the formulation processes.
- Assist with the overall programme development in the technical areas of natural resources and environmental management, forestry, and climate change mitigation and adaptation, as well as integrated forestry and land use development for vulnerable rural communities in Vietnam; this would include the perspective of a multi-sectorial approach into rural development; a strong emphasis on environmentally friendly production and conservation systems, organic/sustainable and community forestry and bio food/goods generation; furthermore, the officer would advise on water, soil, and waste related environmental management needs; in terms of target beneficiaries, the work would focus on vulnerable, poor farmers, with special attention inter alia to ethnic minorities and marginalized communities, as well as to empowering women in development.
- In collaboration with project proponents (including LTOs/CTAs and NPDs), provide inputs for the preparation of project concepts and proposal documents including but not limited to GEF Project Identification Forms (PIFs) and project documents;
- Liaise and establish good working relationships with the Ministry of Agriculture & Rural Development (MARD), Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE), other related public sector line agencies, relevant development partners, UN Agencies, NGOs and other sector stakeholder, in particular with farmers and farmers groups and representatives; and identify and discuss government and sector development priorities;
- Trigger interest and support for project and programme proposals from bilateral and multilateral development partners, and through other alternative funding mechanisms.
- Provide technical guidance to concerned project personnel, international/national consultants, and monitor the programme/project finance and activities in accordance with the project plans;
- Take lead in preparing project reports (quarterly, annual and terminal) as per FAO’s requirements and formats;
- Participate in One UN Result Groups (RGs) and/or Thematic Groups as assigned by the FAO Representative;
- Contribute to FAO’s technical and annual reports/ studies; and,
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Timely and successful implementation, management and delivery of the assigned projects, without over-expenditure or delays: Before the NTEs.
- Effective technical and management support to partner institutions by conducting necessary mission travel and meetings (reflected in BTORs/meeting minutes or summaries): 30 days of mission/meeting completion.
- Timely and quality contribution to relevant FAO’s reports and publications: Before the deadline requested by supervisor(s).
- An end-of-assignment (EOA) report: 15 days before the assignment finishes.
- Master degree in agriculture, environmental science, and/or natural resources management;
- 12 years of relevant experience in development and/or implementation of international programmes/projects in the field of agriculture and rural development policies;
- National of Vietnam
- Knowledge of and/or experience with the UN system.
- High Proficiency in English and Vietnamese - spoken and in writing;
- Ability to work effectively under pressure; and,
- Good computer literacy.