World Wildlife Fund (WWF), the world’s leading conservation organization, seeks a Senior Program Officer for WWF GEF Project Agency at our Washington, DC office. The Senior Program Officer supports engagement and development of WWF’s Global Environment Facility (GEF) Agency as it relates to GEF policy, partners, and strategy. Oversees/leads project and program development and implementation as member of the WWF GEF Agency.
- Project Development: Oversee/lead planning, process, and development of WWF GEF projects and programs through GEF project cycle in coordination with WWF offices, governments, GEF Secretariat, and other key partners; Provide strategic GEF and technical guidance for successful project design; Coordinate and ensure compliance of WWF and GEF standards throughout project development;
- Implementation: Oversee/lead implementation of WWF GEF projects and programs in coordination with WWF offices, governments, and other key partners; Support project teams in adaptive management, troubleshooting, reporting, and other implementation management duties; Coordinate and ensure compliance of WWF and GEF standards throughout project implementation;
- Representation: Represents WWF GEF Agency at internal and external meetings including project and program steering committee meetings/missions, as well as trainings, workshops, and key international events;
- Coaching: Supports WWF Network, government, and other key partners understanding of GEF institutions, policies, procedures and tools for the development of transformative ideas into WWF GEF projects and programs in line with GEF priorities;
- WWF GEF Agency Support: Supports the overall effectiveness and operation of the WWF GEF Agency by establishing, improving, and implementing new and existing WWF policies and procedures, as necessary; Builds relationship with GEF Secretariat and other key GEF stakeholders; Active participant in GEF Secretariat task forces and other ad hoc committees;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- At least four years of progressively responsible experience with project management is required.
- Master’s degree in international affairs, international development, environmental policy, environmental science, or related field. (Will consider candidates with a Bachelor’s degree in the indicated fields of study plus 6yrs of relevant work experience)
- At least three years of experience in developing large bilateral and or multilateral funded projects.
- Experience in managing/supervising project implementation/execution is desired.
- Experience working with GEF projects and knowledge of GEF policies and project cycle management is desirable but not required
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills, including public speaking and publications
- Excellent organizational skills with high attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple initiatives with competing priorities
- Ability to operate with independence, under pressure, and to meet deadlines and commitments;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to work effectively with multicultural teams across cultures multiple time zones
- Willingness to travel internationally and work beyond normal business hours
- Demonstrated knowledge of public sector fundraising, budgeting, and monitoring of compliance with donor norms is desired
- Experience working with WWF and the WWF Network is desired
- Experience working in a developing country/region is desired
- Experience conducting business in Spanish is preferred
Please note: This position is based in Washington DC
- Submit cover letter and resume through our Careers Page, Requisition #16076
- Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone
As an EOE/AA employer, WWF will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, and veteran or disability status.