We are looking for a highly skilled Head Finance who will ensure sound and transparent administration of funds by providing accounting and financial management consistent with the AAH financial management framework and local legislation.*
Action Against Hunger is a global humanitarian organization that takes decisive action against the causes and effects of hunger. We save the lives of malnourished children. We ensure families can access clean water, food, training, and health care. We enable entire communities to be free from hunger. With more than 7,600 staff in over 45 countries, we have reached over 20 million people with funding over US$425M and responded to 37 emergencies in 2018.
About the Country Program
Action Against Hunger has been operational in what is now South Sudan since 1985 responding to both chronic and acute needs through a multi-sector strategy where nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene activities are integrated to have a meaningful impact on people’s resilience. Main objective of the country program is to continue building on Action Against Hunger’s reputation for nutritional expertise to deliver integrated Nutrition, WASH and FSL assistance in the high caseload states, while responding to emergency nutrition needs throughout the country. With central office in Juba, Action Against Hunger runs static program (nutrition, WASH, FSL) in Northern Bahr el Gazal (Aweil East), Warrap (Gogrial East and West) and Fangak (in Jonglei), as well as an emergency roving team that can intervene throughout the country. We have a country team of around 330 staff (20 international) and a budget for 2019 projected at 10 M US$. Our main donors and partners in South Sudan include USAID/OFDA, WFP, UNICEF, SIDA, ECHO, GFFO, BPRM, bilateral donors and private foundations.
How you will contribute
You will contribute to ending world hunger by...
Providing inspiring leadership and technical excellence to our WASH team, overseeing the effective and accountable implementation of all WASH activities across grants. You will take lead in the development of the WASH country strategy and proposals/reports in South Sudan based on identified needs.
Key activities in your role will include:
- Lead the development of the WASH country strategy and proposals based on identified needs; lead field assessments when required.
- Work with the WASH cluster to ensure that Action Against Hunger’s WASH strategy is integrated into the annual humanitarian response planning in South Sudan.
- Coordinate with other Heads of Departments for the formulation of integrated and nutrition sensitive approach.
- Provide operational and programmatic support to WASH Programme Managers, including validation of methodologies and approaches of the WASH grants (systematic KAP surveys, technical studies, call for tender, specifications, community and participatory approach, external evaluations, awareness campaign methodology, innovation, etc.);
- Ensure the quality and accountability of WASH programmes in South Sudan, support the team through regular field visits.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of all grants, in line with technical standards and objectives.
- Ensure the active participation of Action Against Hunger in national sectorial coordination and technical forums and develop sectorial partnerships - represent Action Against Hunger in sectorial coordination at national and sub-national levels (sectorial and/or cluster) and with the technical authorities, as well as liaise with key actors in WASH sector and develop partnerships.
- Mandatory: You have worked with Action Against Hunger for at least one year during last 5 years.
- Mandatory: You have worked in South Sudan in a similar /Nutrition Role for at least a year in the past 5 years.
- You have a degree in WASH-related technical training (Civil Engineering, Water Engineering, Environmental Health, Hydrology, Geology, Mechanical Engineering, etc.).
- You have a minimum 5 years’ experience in initiation, planning and implementation of WASH projects in conflict and post-conflict settings according to internal and national guidelines, agreements and international standards. Prior experience in South Sudan is a plus.
- You have experience engaging with and building capacity of partner organizations.
- You demonstrate ability to write high-quality WASH proposals as well as reports and strategy design. Familiarity with policies, procedures, and priorities of Donor agencies.
- You have strong knowledge of WASH guidelines and standards.
You are passionate about leading ambitious programming that has impact
- You are able to remain calm under pressure and can easily adapt to changing circumstances.
- You are ready and willing to integrate into hard working and fun team that believes in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well.
- You are able to work independently with minimal technical support.
- You have a strong cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- You are fluent in English (business level), both verbal and written.
Our core values.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate Action Against Hunger-USA’s five core values.
- Respect- we work with compassion and dedication, treating everyone the same way we expect them to treat us.
- Integrity- we believe that being honest and fair is integral to every aspect of our work; conducting our work with a spirit of sincerity, truthfulness and transparency is imperative.
- Creativity-we encourage new ideas, embrace innovative solutions, and create opportunities for meaningful and exciting ways to do our jobs and provide solutions to address the needs of the populations we serve.
- Excellence- we strive to provide services that meet, and even exceed, the expectations of our stakeholders (populations in need, staff, communities and donors).
- Empowerment- we are committed to fostering an environment in which our staff, partners and communities where we work have the space to grow, develop and feel confident about participating.- we are committed to fostering an environment in which our staff, partners and communities where we work have the space to grow, develop and feel confident about participating.
Action Against Hunger-USA values its employees and offers a comprehensive remuneration and benefits package. These include but are not limited to: -
- Health Insurance
- R&R Breaks
- Paid annual leave (vacation)
- Context allowance
- Training opportunities
For an all-inclusive list of benefits check the Action Against Hunger-USA Website
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button below. All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated resume and both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. Closing date for applications:23rd July 2019, 5 PM EAT.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Action Against Hunger-USA complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
For further information about Action Against Hunger-USA, please visit our website www.actionagainsthunger.org