Ukraine nationals: Economic and Environmental Affairs Internship
The GEF project “Enabling transboundary cooperation and integrated water resources management in the Dniester River Basin” is tasked with strengthening Moldovan-Ukrainian cooperation in the integrated water resources management in the Dniester basin.
The project is based on results and recommendations of a series of projects on the Dniester river basin implemented in the frame of the Environment and Security Initiative (ENVSEC) with guidance from the UN Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE), Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) and UN Development Programme (UNDP).
The overall objective of the project is to support integrated water resources management in the Dniester river basin to strengthen sustainable development, through the update of the Transboundary Diagnostic Analysis, development and endorsement of the Strategic Action Programme and initiation of its implementation. The project has been designed to deal with important water/environment issues in the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine.
Tasks and responsibilities
The selected intern will have the opportunity to familiarize himself/herself with the work of EEPM Programme, mainly with the Project “Enabling transboundary cooperation and integrated water resources management in the Dniester River Basin”. Under the overall supervision of the National Project Officer, the Intern will be requested to carry out the following duties:
- Assist in the preparation of written materials including reports, overviews, briefing papers, presentations and/or documents on general or specific issues and/or specific countries or regions on environmental issues;
- Assist in the preparation and organization of events;
- Perform other duties as assigned, including written translation of the documents from Ukrainian and Russian into English and vice versa.
- Be not older than 30 years on the date of the deadline of the vacancy notice and have completed two years of full-time post-secondary education in an accredited institution or have completed a first or advanced degree in social/political sciences, international relations, environmental sciences or other field relevant to the OSCE’s mandate no longer than two years before the date of the deadline of the vacancy notice;
- Previous experience with environmental topics/issues would be an asset;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, Ukrainian and Russian;
- Punctuality and attention to deadlines;
- Computer literate with practical experience in Microsoft packages;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people from different national and cultural backgrounds, whilst maintaining impartiality and objectivity.
The selected intern may participate in the group health insurance scheme at his/her own expense. The OSCE will cover life and accident/disability insurance. If the intern opts to arrange his/her own medical coverage, he/she shall provide evidence of medical coverage for the duty station he/she applies to, and for any eventual duty trip destinations.
Please note that the OSCE is not in a position paying any remuneration during the period of internship nor reimburse travel expenses. Some compensation towards the cost of living may be offered to interns who do not reside in the place of assignment.
This position is open for residents of Ukraine only. The expected duration оf internship is 4 months commencing from September 2019 with the possibility of extension for 2 more months (subject to availability of funds). We strongly encourage applicants to use the online application system at https://jobs.osce.org; the Vacancy Number is VNUKRC00565. The deadline for applications is 18 July 2019. If you have difficulties with the online system, please use the Internet Explorer to find the vacancy. Applications received after the published deadline will not be considered. Due to the high volume of applications, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Details of the assignment and contract may be further discussed during the interviews.