Duration: 12 Months (renewable)
Station: NAIROBI - Kenya (60-70%) – At least 30-40% Travel to the field in Puntland-Somalia (Garowe and Bosasso)
Start Date: 01.08.2019
CEFA (The European Committee for Training and Agriculture) is an Italian Non-Governmental Organization established in 1972 and active in 10 Countries in Africa, Latin America, and Eastern Europe. CEFA’s medium- and long-term interventions in agricultural, environmental and Human Rights sector are focused on the sustainable development of the communities, achieved by involving local counterparts and by promoting the active participation of the beneficiaries.
Objective of the position;
CEFA has recently been awarded by IFAD (International Fund For Agricultural Development) and AICS (Italian Agency for Development Cooperation) a food security grant in Somali to support rural development in Puntland. Since this intervention includes a strong component of water infrastructures rehabilitation and maintenance, CEFA is looking for an experienced Water Expert to join our project team.
The Water Expert will be in charge of the technical supervision and implementation of the water component related activities, namely: assessment and rehabilitation of water infrastructures in Puntland, training community members and specialized technicians on water management and infrastructures maintenance, pilot climate-smart technologies for water management and irrigation.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, the Water Expert will support and oversight the water infrastructure component implementation management. He/she will supervise construction works and help facilitate information and training of water committees with a view of improving access to safe and sustainable water and enhancing sanitation practices in the project area.
- Ensuring the development of accurate Bill of Quantities ( BoQs) and detailed technical drawings for all the Water Infrastructure interventions in liaison with relevant technical staff from the government authorities and implementing partners
- Supervising and be responsible for all the technical aspect for project implementation, make sure that contractors complete project work in a timely, efficient and accurate manner with respect to standard engineering
- Ensuring community involvement at all phases of the project and the development of community ownership of the project.
- Guarantee the respect of construction standards as well as the security practices at the project site;
- Providing feedback to the monitoring and evaluation system in order to assess the effectiveness and the impact of the projects and propose recommendations for improvement
- Contributing to the development of constructive solutions to challenges identified by the community and contractors
- Facilitating and maintaining a good professional relationship between, communities and contractors
- Providing technical reports on the component on a monthly basis and plans with comprehensive records of engineering work undertaken in the project including site visits and reporting of work progress.
- Liaising and leading all stakeholders in conducting periodic assessment and baseline studies
- Analyze context analysis of field realities and operational environment with the view to advocate for maximum stakeholder participation
- Discuss with the community and local authorities and make recommendations on innovative ways that beneficiary communities should adopt for improved management and sustainability of community water facilities.
- Coordinating and supervising masonry and concrete construction works at all water and sanitation facilities (Earth dams, Sand dams, institutional latrines, Household latrines, shallow wells, Water pans, boreholes, etc.)
- Coordinate community mobilization, sensitization
- Assist the formationa and train on water and sanitation committees for specific water/sanitation facilities to be developed
- Follow up, inspect and ensure project materials are delivered measure to specified deliveries at field level in a timely way.
- Document Impact, Sustainability and best practices for Water projects in the area for learning, sharing and future replication
Qualifications and Experience
- Masters or Degree in Civil Engineering/Construction management/Environmental Engineering or Water Engineering
- Previous Somalia experience in Water and Urban Development project
- Over 10 years’ experience as a water expert in the non-development sector
- Member or an engineering body
- Experience in Project Cycle Management, Logical Framework Approach
- Deep understanding of water contribution to economic development
- Experience in water design focusing on fragile countries
- Ability to travel to Somalia for 30% of the time
HOW TO APPLY:
Apply by 15th July 2019 sending an email with an updated CV and cover letter to .