This is a diverse position with a lot of opportunity for interesting projects, working in a small talented team, with room to develop future skills. Hiring salary DOE, with potential for promotion to “senior level” running into 6 figures.
It can be a demanding schedule but management is flexible with balancing remote work, in-office, and field work. Work territory would be all of Santa Barbara County and the position will become an expert in your field.
It’s a niche position and some training will be required, but candidates with combination of experience in these areas would be ideal:
- CEQA, 401-404 Permitting, Coastal Act, Endangered Species Act
- Field biology, steelhead trout, tidewater goby, red legged frog, migratory birds, etc
- Local flora and fauna,
- Water quality, hydrology and floodplain mgmt.
- Construction site monitoring and supervision (experience with engineering plans and working around heavy equipment)
- Fish-passage and creek restoration
- Field surveys and GIS (light)
- Native plant restoration
- County/City govt experience
- Project mgmt
- Writing and communication skills
- Good time mgmt essential!! We have lots of projects and limited deadlines. I’m hoping for someone who ticks several of the items above.
Duty location could be Santa Barbara or Santa Maria
Occasionally (rarely, but does happen) nights and weekends are required for water sampling or emergencies, but the position gets overtime.
We have 2 big dam-removal/fish passage projects that this person will be heavily involved with, as well as storm water sampling, biological monitoring, and other responsibilities.