|Position Level||IS 4|
|Department||Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department|
|Division||Environment TG, SDTC|
|Location||Asian Development Bank Headquarters|
|Date Posted||Saturday, September 17, 2022|
|Closing Date||Saturday, October 1, 2022 11:59 p.m. (2359 Manila Time, 0800 GMT)|
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
This is a special fixed-term appointment for a period of three (3) years following Section 3.1 (c.) of Administrative Order No. 2.01 (“Recruitment and Appointment’). This appointment is not convertible to a regular appointment. It may be extended on exceptional basis for a further fixed period at the option of ADB. This appointment is open to internal and external applicants.
If the successful candidate is an ADB staff member holding a regular appointment, his/her regular appointment will be converted to a special fixed-term appointment. A special fixed-term appointment will automatically and without prior notice expire at the end of the term.
- Multiple positions at various levels will be filled from this vacancy announcement.
- Actual position title and level will be based on the candidate’s qualifications, experience, and job scope that will be assigned to the selected candidates
- The positions are to be assigned to the Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department (SDCC) but selected candidates may be redeployed to the Operational Departments.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is jointly hosted by the Environment Thematic Group (SDTC-ENV) and the Rural Development and Food Security (Agriculture) Thematic Group (SDTC-AR) within the Thematic Advisory Service Cluster of the Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department (SDCC). The SDCC provides leadership, innovation, and knowledge sharing for ADB’s sector and thematic work. Under Strategy 2030, and in coordination with operations and relevant offices and departments the Environment Thematic Group implements the Operational Plam 3: Tackling Climate Change, Building Climate and Disaster Resilience, and Enhancing Environmental Sustainability, and the Rural Development and Food Security (Agriculture) Thematic Group implements the Operational Plan for Operational Priority 5: Promoting rural development and food security
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Environment Specialist (Natural Capital Investment) will act as a focal point for the Regional Natural Capital Lab (NCL) and drive forward the development and implementation of the ADB natural capital program. The position will (i) advance the knowledge agenda on natural capital valuation and environmental economic valuation as an enabler for developing natural capital investment strategy and analysis of natural capital opportunity in farmland, soil, fishery, food production, forestry, water, and biodiversity;(ii)provide advice, expertise and technical support to operations to mainstream nature positive investments into ADB operations; and (iii) support the coordination and implementation of cross regional cooperation initiatives, partnerships and networks under the regional natural capital lab. The position will also develop knowledge products and disseminate these through training and networks. The incumbent will report to the Chief of Rural Development and Food Security Thematic Group and concurrently the Officer-in-Charge of the Environment Thematic Group and may supervise National Staff and Administrative Staff.
- Contribute to building and maintaining the Regional Natural Capital Lab (NCL) and natural capital investment capability including coordinate activities for the Regional Natural Capital Lab across the bank and with external partners.
- Compile good practice and develop case studies on a range of ecosystem accounts (physical and monetary) that can be applied to scenario analysis and used to inform national policy priorities.
- Strengthen environmental economic valuation methods, practices and uses for ADB operations and for development of policies, strategies, and approaches to further develop the agriculture, natural resources, and rural development sectors in the context of environmentally, economically, and socially sustainable development.
- Review and link the ADB project pipeline in rural development, natural resources and food system program with biodiversity conservation and climate change and identify areas and sectors where additional investment capital is needed to expand programs to reach and achieve desired program outcomes for natural capital investment.
- Conduct analytical work in coordination with regional departments to determine potential for natural capital investment in selected countries and across sectors by collating resources, data and reporting trends, considering the Bank-wide nature-positive recovery program/efforts.
- Provide extensive inputs to project teams in preparing natural capital investment projects, join missions, and advise governments on improving natural capital investment plans based on regional, local resources and data analytics on available and probable support infrastructure. Identify appropriate investment sources and partners for specific natural capital projects.
- Develop natural capital finance tracking framework and take the lead role in monitoring and reporting natural capital financing.
- Develop a comprehensive list of sources and mechanisms for blended finance that best align with ADB’s programs and projects by type of natural capital. Collaborate with ADB’s blended finance team, as required.
- Support NCL’s project preparation activities by analyzing cash flows, risks, and returns for natural capital projects, and thereby help refine eco-compensation mechanisms that NCL would design.
- Review existing financing models for natural capital projects in both private sector and public sector and analyze strengths and weaknesses relative to what ADB can offer with the purpose to aid in increasing the ADB’s understanding of blended finance and the market opportunities for natural capital investments.
- Develop knowledge solutions (i.e. sector/ thematic studies and assessments, good practices, and guidelines), services and partnerships to implement the objectives of the Regional Natural Capital Lab and priorities under Strategy 2030.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Master’s degree in, or equivalent, in Agriculture, Natural Resources, Environment, Economics, Finance or related fields. Alternatively, university degree in Agriculture, Natural Resources, Environment, Economics, Finance with at least 5 years specialized experience relevant to the position can be considered.
• Minimum of 8 years of relevant professional experience
• Proven application of expertise in natural capital accounting and environmental valuation with in- depth knowledge in agriculture (food systems), natural resources and rural development
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
• Familiarity with operations, policies and procedures of multilateral financial institutions,
• Possesses good analytical thinking with ability to make simple causal links, pro-and-con lists, and analyses to reach a decision; and set priorities for tasks in order of importance
• Able to liaise and work effectively with staff within own work location and can work collaboratively with teams and
• Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for IS4.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.