About the National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA):
Established in 1976, the National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA) is a premier institute of Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, Government of India, for research and capacity building for urban sector in India. NIUA’s broad objective is to bridge the gap between research and practice on issues related to urbanization. For more than 40 years now, NIUA has been the vanguard for contributing to and building the urban narrative for a fast-evolving urban India. The Institute has been actively working on bringing forth key areas of concern for urban India in order to build the urban discourse at various urban scales. It has utilized its competencies in research, knowledge management, policy advocacy and capacity building to address urban challenges and continuously striving to develop sustainable, inclusive and productive urban ecosystems in the country. It has emerged as a thought leader and knowledge hub for urban development in India and is sought after by both Indian and international organizations for collaborations and partnerships in India’s urban transforming journey. NIUA is committed towards aligning its efforts towards achieving Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through all its initiatives and programmes.
About the Water and Environment Vertical:
NIUA’s Water and Environment Vertical focuses on developing enabling frameworks, mechanisms, and pathways to help Indian cities manage their water and environmental sectors in a sustainable manner.
Given our affiliation with India’s Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, our vision and work are geared towards bringing about a noticeable difference on the ground. We support the Ministry in implementing the different national Urban Missions and initiatives that have a bearing on urban water and environment. Additionally, we work with a number of national and international resource partners with an agenda and mandate similar to ours.
Typically, our work in urban water and environmental management includes:
- Developing national level strategic frameworks applicable for all cities to facilitate on-the-ground action in specific domains.
- Preparing guidance documents and advisories for areas where knowledge gaps exist.
- Developing digital tools and instruments to help cities move up the state-of-the-art ladder.
- Undertaking action research on relatively unexplored subjects.
- Supporting the piloting of innovative concepts and technologies through demonstration projects.
- Developing niche capacity building modules and certification programmes on common needs of cities.
- Facilitating partnerships among cities, civil society organizations, academia, international organizations, and the private sector.
- Engaging with different sections of society with a view to target long-term transformational change.
The Communications Specialist shall work closely work with Water and Environment Team to carry out the responsibilities listed below.
- Plan and implement internal and external strategies for communication and outreach and action plan rollout.
- Prepare a comprehensive outreach and communication plan with a focus on print and social media.
- Brand profiling, strategic media engagement and outreach support.
- Build strong digital presence for the Water and Environment vertical including digital accounts such as the website; social media etc.
- Develop and implement monthly social media plans according to the team’s priorities tailored for different audiences, and implement the plan.
- Design the content for videos, creatives, infographics, flyers, and social media posts linked to project outputs of the team.
- Update the Water and Environment vertical website periodically.
- Provide PR support to the team for their key events (e.g. workshops, conferences etc.)
- Carry out media related writing including but not limited to press release, opinion pieces, thought pieces, feature articles, key messages, etc.
- Support the Head of Communications at NIUA for flagship campaigns and advocacy initiatives.
- Provide additional ad-hoc communications output as and when required.
- The Communications Specialist shall report to the Lead, Water and Environment at NIUA.
- Qualification related to mass communications, branding & strategy, multi-media or graphic design, and related visibility fields would be desirable.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience in communication and media relations, of which 2 years in large & reputed private sector or with government at state / national level.
- Relevant experience of working with multi-lateral and bilateral agencies on their visibility & communications requirements, and experience in working with various stakeholders.
- Prior work experience in activities related to urban development, water, and environment sectors shall be an advantage.
- Ability to draft clear and concise ideas and concepts in both written and oral form; specific skills in writing press releases and articles/stories for print and electronic media.
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English.
- Ability to work responsibly, independently, and flexibly.
- Willingness to take initiative and generate new ideas.
- Willingness to travel to the project locations across India as required.
Location of position: The position would be based at NIUA office in New Delhi.
References: Please provide name and contact information of three references.
Remuneration: As par with the industry standards, depending on experience and skills and fitment with NIUA remuneration structures. Proof of past remuneration (last received salary/monthly contract payment) would be required.
Application process: Submit CV and cover letter through the NIUA portal.
Last Date of Application: 30 September, 2022.