Position: Project Coordinator
Organization: Grand River Conservation Authority
Location: Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario
Grand River Conservation Authority (GRCA) has an international reputation for excellence in managing the natural resources of the largest inland river system in southern Ontario.
Encompassing approximately 6,800 square kilometres, the Grand River watershed has a population of almost one million people in 39 municipalities and two First Nations. Designated as a Canadian Heritage River, the Grand River and its major tributaries boast many outstanding human heritage features and excellent recreational opportunities. The GRCA is committed to environmental protection by delivering services that ensure the well-being of the environment and its inhabitants.
Reporting to the Project Supervisor in the Central Services Department, the Project Coordinator undertakes and supports the implementation and coordination of renovation, construction and maintenance projects on GRCA properties and infrastructure including roads, trails, drainage, buildings, utilities (water, hydro, septic) etc.; provides support for GRCA operations; prepare reports for project endorsement and approval; and supports the GRCA’s asset management plan.
- Coordinates renovation, construction and maintenance projects including the development, administration, and oversight of technical contracts with consultants and contractors.
- Assist with the preparation, oversight and reporting of project budgets and schedules on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Oversee the work of consultants and contractors including providing direction, coordination, review and approval of submittals, review and accept work, recommend payments, negotiate extra work and disputes on projects as assigned.
- Assists in the preparation and maintenance of the Five Year Capital & Maintenance Plan for GRCA facilities and infrastructure (excluding water management infrastructure).
- Supports the GRCA Asset Management Plan for facilities and infrastructure (excluding water management infrastructure).
- Assists with updating and maintaining infrastructure drawings, manuals, and warranties ensuring accurate and proper documentation/recordkeeping.
- Assist and complete the procurement for goods and services in a public procurement environment (quotes, tenders, proposals, pre-qualifications, etc) and administer contracts as required.
- Assist with developing and maintaining GRCA templates and resources such as procurement, contracts, Health and Safety procedures, guidelines, inspections, documentation, project management resources, etc.
- Assists in the preparation and review of technical reports including board reports, management plans and business plans.
- Coordinate and document meetings with stakeholders, contractors and consultants.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable policies, procedures and legislation with special emphasis on health and safety and hazard mitigation measures.
- Coordinate and conduct technical investigations to assist in developing project scope, and prepare cost estimates.
- Organizational and problem solving skills to coordinate requirements with staff and stakeholders, prioritize, communicate and plan work within timelines.
- Communicates with internal and external stakeholders to successfully complete GRCA projects.
- College diploma in Architectural, Construction, Project Management, or Engineering Sciences plus a professional designation in a related field.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ related experience in construction, building rehabilitation/renovation or maintenance involving the development of designs, plans and specifications and contract administration.
- Demonstrated knowledge of design, architectural, civil, mechanical, electrical, buildings, landscape and general construction practices.
- Knowledge and experience with contract law as it relates to construction and maintenance.
- Strong project coordination skills with demonstrated experience with procurement, contract management, time management, project planning, organization and agreements.
- Demonstrated knowledge of relevant legislation including, but not limited to, the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Construction Act, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, and related regulations and the Highway Traffic Act.
- Demonstrated analytical, research and report writing skills.
- Computer proficiency in Word, Excel, databases, PowerPoint, and GIS. Working knowledge of AutoCAD is beneficial.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with staff, stakeholders, consultants, and contractors.
- Effective problem-solving, collaboration and negotiation skills.
- Excellent written communication skills with demonstrated ability to prepare correspondence, technical reports, and other documents. Experience with procurement and contract administration.
- Strong verbal communication skills with experience presenting information and making recommendations to senior staff. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of stakeholders.
- Valid G driver’s license.
Competencies and Abilities
Demonstrated ability in the area of critical thinking, analysis and assessment of risk and implications, making connections of underlying issues and ownership of the outcome. Sound judgment resulting in fair, efficient and effective decision making bringing clarity and resolution to complex situations, and discretion in dealing with confidential information. Ability to carry out skillful negotiations and interest based conflict resolution. Coordinating projects decisively and effectively striving for minimal cost and disruption to individuals and operations. Ensures good value for money in all work performed by or on behalf of the GRCA. Recognize when to escalate appropriate situations to the next higher level of expertise.
The willingness to hold oneself accountable for acting in ways that are consistent with stated values, principles and professional standards. Maintaining impartiality, objectivity and fairness when dealing with employees, consultants, contractors, stakeholders and other agencies.
Maintains a calm and professional attitude in the face of change, stressful situations and challenges. A high level of personal and professional excellence including the ability to align personal and organizational values.
Effective problem solving, collaboration, negotiation and facilitation skills. .. Seizes opportunities; takes initiative and is self-motivated. Organizes work, plans activities and sets priorities in a manner that meets competing needs and timely resolution of matters. Maintains high level of productivity and self-direction. Demonstrated experience in Project Management with the ability to work under pressure and handle multiple tasks simultaneously with changing or competing priorities. Excellent organizational skills with respect to project management, contract management and time management.
Interacts with people respectfully and effectively as part of a team. Able and willing to share and receive information. The ability to gather facts and pertinent information to gain an understanding before drawing conclusions. Demonstrated ability to build partnerships and alliances with peers, business communities, partners and staff. Exceptional communications skills are required for working with internal teams to achieve mutually beneficial outcomes and to provide support to other programs within GRCA.
Dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers. Develops and maintains effective relationships and ensures good communications with other staff, external stakeholders, consultants, contractors and other agencies. Works in close collaboration with internal stakeholders to keep them apprised of relevant information and significant issues in a timely fashion. Demonstrated ability to build ongoing working relationships and communicating with tact and diplomacy.
GRCA offers a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, vision care, life and disability insurance; membership in the OMERS pension plan and a pass for free entry into GRCA conservation areas.
Deadline for Applications: 4:00pm, Tuesday September 27, 2022 Approximate Start Date: October 2022
The pay range for this position is Job Level 6 $30.22 to $37.77 per hour/35 hours per week
To Apply: Please send a resume and covering letter to [email protected] in MS Word or PDF format and quote “Project Coordinator” in the subject line.
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.
We thank you for your interest, however only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
GRCA is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you require any accessibility accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact us. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
Pursuant to section 29(2) of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Individual Privacy Act R.S.O. 1990, C. M.56 the personal information contained on this form is collected under the legal authority of the Conservation Authorities Act, R.S.O. 1990, chapter C.27 and is used for recruitment purposes. Questions about the collection of personal information should be directed to the Manager of Human Resources, Grand River Conservation Authority, PO Box 729, 400 Clyde Road, Cambridge, Ontario N1R 5W6; 519-621-2761.