- Ongoing or non-ongoing opportunity
- $128,195 – $151,083 plus 15.4% superannuation
- Adelaide, Canberra, Goondiwindi, Griffith, Mildura, Murray-Bridge, Toowoomba and Wodonga* *Our preferred locations are Canberra, Goondiwindi, Griffith and Mildura. Suitable candidates seeking Adelaide, Murray-Bridge, Toowoomba and Wodonga locations will be placed on an order of merit pending office capacity becoming available. Other locations may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Who are we:
With the enactment of the Water Act 2007 (Cth), the Murray–Darling Basin Authority (MDBA) was established as an independent expertise-based statutory agency.
For the first time in the Basin’s history, one Basin-wide institution is responsible for planning the Basin’s water resources, with all planning decisions made in the interest of the Basin as a whole.
Our most important work is to:
• prepare, implement and review an integrated plan for the sustainable use of the Basin’s water resources
• operate the River Murray system and efficiently deliver water to users on behalf of partner governments
• measure, monitor and record the quality and quantity of the Basin’s water resources
• supporting, encourage and conduct research and investigations about the Basin’s water resources and dependent ecosystems
• advise the Australian Government Minister responsible for water on the accreditation of state water resource plans
• provide water rights information to facilitate water trading across the Basin
• engage and educate the Australian community about the Basin’s water resources.
At the MDBA, we are committed to diversity and inclusion across our workforce, and in the way that we work. We recognise the importance of making the best use of the unique perspectives, experience, knowledge and skills across our regionalised organisation. We strive to create a workplace where our people flourish in a welcoming and culturally safe environment. We encourage and welcome applications from people with disability, First Nations peoples, LGBTIQ+ people, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds and mature age people.
Who are we looking for:
The Director will:
• Lead the First Nations Policy team and be responsible for the development of First Nations policy, with a specific focus on strategic policy reforms associated with the 2026 review of the Basin Plan.
• Liaise with other sections of the MDBA, the Australian and State Government agencies to ensure there is a coordinated approach to First Nations policy within the MDBA.
• Lead the coordination of First Nations input into policy development as part of the Basin Plan Review drawing upon well-developed negotiation and liaison skills with appropriate cultural competency.
• Provide advice to committees and governing bodies on First Nations policy matters to appropriately address the complexity of issues relevant to the role and to identify and implement constrictive pathways to advance these issues. Work with the MDBA Aboriginal Partnerships team to deliver on policy review, reform and coordination across the MDBA.
• Develop strong and constructive working relationships with internal and external partners and agencies and groups, particularly First Nations groups.
• Develop a work program for a new and critical area of work to support the Basin Plan Review requiring judgement, discretion, and initiative over a developing and sensitive area.
Relocation packages are available, and we are committed to a flexible and inclusive workplace that will suit you and your individual needs. Joining us means you will contribute your expertise as part of an agile working environment that offers an attractive salary package, including up to 15.4% superannuation. You will also be eligible to receive a wide range of employee benefits, support for flexible working arrangements and have excellent working conditions. We support the professional development of our people, and the chance to try new things across our variety of capabilities and work locations.
Tell me more:
It is easy to apply for a job at the MDBA. Go to www.mdba.gov.au/careers and tell us what makes you the ideal candidate. Take the opportunity to work with the MDBA as we continue to make a difference through the protection and enhancement of the environment.
For more information regarding this opportunity contact Tony McLeod – [email protected] 02 6279 0492.
Position DescriptionOpens in new window
How to apply:
- Start your application by clicking the “begin” button.
- Login to an existing account or reset your password
- Preview Application Form