The DVGW-Research Centre at the Technical University of Hamburg (TUHH) is one of four water research institutions run by the DVGW (Deutscher Verein des Gas- und Wasserfaches e.V.). It is affiliated with the TUHH-University’s Institute of Water Resources and Water Supply (B-11). The research conducted at the DVGW Research Centre is linked to current practice and provides advice to water utilities and water industries. The interface of academic education and practical application provides a basis for problem solving and technical innovation. Our scientists are involved in national and international projects mainly funded by third-party institutions. At the DVGW-Research Centre TUHH, you will find flat hierarchies, short decision paths and cooperative collaborations within the DVGW network as well as with the TUHH.
In context of a new Horizon Europe Project on climate-resilient management for safe disinfected and non-disinfected water supply systems – safeCREW – we are looking for a
Research Associate (PhD position, TV-L E13 100%), 36 months
starting on Nov 1st 2022. This call is conditional on the final grant decision by the European Union.
The safeCREW project will deal on topics of safe disinfection of drinking water, the prevention, reduction and removal of disinfection-by-products and interdependencies to climate change factors. The research commitments of DVGW-TUHH will focus on conductive membrane filtration techniques to remove precursors of disinfection-by-products from natural organic matter (NOM).
- Advanced characterisation of relevant NOM by fluorescence spectrometry, size exclusion chromatography, correlations to DBP generation
- Conducting filtration experiments with electro-sorptive materials for the removal of natural organic matter and bacteria in drinking water treatment (lab scale experiments)
- Upscale the innovative electro-sorptive process to operate a pilot plant setup in a North German water work (Hamburg or Berlin)
- Engage actively in technical exchange with safeCREW EU-project partners
- Evaluation of results, interpretation, writing reports and presentations of project results in English language at project meetings as well as at national and international conferences
- Writing and publishing of project results in international peer-reviewed journals
- Supervision of students
- Excellent MSc (or equivalent) in the fields of Environmental Engineering; Chemical Engineering or Physical Chemistry with strong focus on Water Science
- Interest and willingness to conduct and finalize an experimental oriented PhD-thesis in an innovative field of water technology and water analysis
- Chemical Lab experience, and accurate way of working in the laboratory
- Dynamic and fresh thinking as well as eagerness to learn in an interdisciplinary project team
- Excellent English communication skills (written and spoken)
- An open, flexible, team-oriented player
- Ability to manage and work well and self-organised, innovative and creative
We offer a position within a scientific workplace with high self-responsibility. Within our international project you are cooperating with partners in Italy, Spain, the Netherlands, UK and Germany. These include universities, research centres, regulating bodies, as well as companies from water industry.
A specialized laboratory and technical centre is available.
The DVGW aims at increasing its female staff and thus solicits strongly the application of female scientists. We support the reconciliation of work and family life.
Are you interested? Please send one pdf file (including motivation letter, CV, certificates) until Sep 23rd 2022 to:
Univ.-Prof. Dr.-Ing. Mathias Ernst,
Email: [email protected]