WRI is a global research organization that spans more than 50 countries, with offices in the Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, and the United States. Our more than 450 experts and staff work closely with leaders to turn big ideas into action to sustain our natural resources—the foundation of economic opportunity and human well-being.
WRI was recently voted the #1 Environmental Think Tank in the world and is consistently recommended by staff as one of the “most desired organizations to work for.” In 2014, WRI was ranked one of the Top Workplaces by the Washington Post.
WRI India is seeking a GIS analyst with demonstrated professional and research experience working with environmental and urban planning data for its Integrated Urban Planning (IUP) initiative within the WRI India. The position is based in Bangalore, India.
IUP is planning to undertake work cutting across multiple sectors such as geographic, demographic, economic (industries, employment, land values), housing, governance, transport, and other natural resources (soil conditions, water resources, air quality, geomorphology, topography, forests, etc.), and their interrelationship at the regional level. A framework for Sustainable Regional Planning will be developed after carefully establishing correlations among trends and policies in the above sectors, keeping in view the geopolitical realities and technological advancements (in the Bangalore Metropolitan region).
The selected GIS analyst will assist the project manager in:
• Collecting and collating the spatial and non-spatial data from open and proprietary sources (including government, private, institutional and open sources)
• Creating and developing spatial and non-spatial datasets and updating them periodically
• Developing Application Program Interfaces (APIs) to use the existing data from other (open) data sources
• Analyzing the spatial and non-spatial actors involved in regional and economic planning of cities
• Establishing correlations across multiple sectoral datasets.
• Developing a set of regional growth scenarios and generating spatial simulations
• Producing 2D and 3D maps and visualizations to support decision making
• Presenting the findings at various fora to invite inputs from stakeholders
• Coordinating GIS related work across multiple work areas within WRI and assisting in spatial analysis wherever needed
• Master’s or doctoral degree in geography, environmental science, earth sciences, Geomatics, Geoinformatics, Remote Sensing or other related fields.
• Experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS)/web-mapping, particularly ESRI ArcGIS software, AutoCAD and other Image processing softwares like ERDAS, EVNI, GRASS
• Sound knowledge of spatial analysis tools (Vector and Raster; 2D and 3D)
• Knowledge of National Urban Information Services (NUIS, India) data classification standards and open data standards
• Remote Sensing and knowledge of satellite sensors
• Experience with coding, particularly Python, C, R, Java script, .NET
• Experience with spatial database development, hosting – Mapserver, Geoserver
• Proficiency in cartography, graphics and website development softwares (e.g., Adobe Photoshop/Illustration, HTML, PHP).
• Knowledge of mobile app development – android, iOS
• Ability to produce high quality maps for publication strongly preferred
• International work experience is a plus
• Demonstrated research experience working with environmental and urban planning data in spatial format
• Experience of working with Government and private sector projects
• Strong inter-personal skills, working with people from a variety of backgrounds
• Strong analytical and communication skills
• Highly responsible and self-motivated
• Excellent time management skills and ability to work with tight deadlines
Experience: At least 2 years after masters
Salary: Commensurate with experience, skills and market competitive.
How to Apply and more information about WRI
All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered.
The World Resources Institute (http://www.wri.org/wri) is an environmental and development research and policy organization that creates solutions to protect the Earth and improve people’s lives. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, it is WRI’s policy to recruit, hire, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, protected veteran status, or disability. WRI’s global agenda requires a staff that is diverse – with respect to race, gender, cultural, and international background. Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the way WRI selects and approaches issues, as well as the creativity and applicability of WRI’s policy research and analysis. WRI, therefore, encourages applications from U.S. minorities, persons from other countries (especially developing nations), and from women of all backgrounds.