Full Job Description
To apply visit https://careers.southernute.com/pfund
POSITION SUMMARY: Develops and administers the San Juan Watershed water quality program for the Southern Ute Indian Tribe. This position is solely grant funded. Employment is contingent upon annual funding from the US EPA grant funding or other outside sources.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Takes the lead in preparing multiple documents and reports associated with the San Juan Watershed Program. These include grant requests including associated work plans and budgets, semi-annual and annual reports, and an annual assessment of Animas River watershed related water quality data.
2. Develops and supervises multiple ongoing projects funded under the Water Infrastructure Improvements for the Nation (WIIN) Act and other related grants.
3. Develops project budgets and tracks expenditures throughout the year to assure compliance with EPA budget submittals.
4. Prepares Animas River specific Quality Assurance Project Plan, a Sampling and Analysis Plan and Program SOP’s at least annually or as needed due to a change in project work plans.
5. Reviews Animas River monitoring site locations and, as appropriate, makes recommendations on modifying the existing locations.
6. Determines appropriate surface water quality and biological monitoring criteria and methods for assessment to document potential mining and agricultural impacts.
7. Assures all water quality assessment instrumentation is adequately maintained, and accurate readings and records are kept.
8. Annually reviews Southern Ute Indian Tribe (SUIT) and partner data, creates reports to document potential water quality impacts and other findings.
9. Assures all SUIT collected data is properly stored by Water Quality Technician in the WQP’s electronic database.
10. Responsible to ensure all collected data that can be transferred into EPA databases by Water Quality Technician is done on a quarterly basis. This includes AWQMS and STORET.
11. Responsible to ensure all data that is assessed is done so appropriately and accurately following all quality assurance protocols.
12. Organizes workshops and education programs on agricultural and/or mining related water quality topics.
13. Supervises the WQP Water Quality Technician when assisting the Animas River Coordinator in collecting water quality data.
14. Maintains current knowledge of existing federal water quality regulations.
15. Attends all relevant Animas River or San Juan Watershed meetings as required and/or as requested by the Environmental Programs Manager.
16. Contributes in a positive manner and supportive of other WQP personnel helping to maintain team oriented-oriented environment.
17. Assists in the implementation of SUIT Water Quality Standards.
18. Performs other duties as assigned.
Must have a BS in a Physical, Biological or Natural Sciences-related field.
Must have 2 years of work experience related to water quality.
Must have conducted research and analysis of water quality data.
Must have general knowledge of state and federal environmental regulations.
Must have experience in computer software programs including Microsoft Word and Excel.
Must have a valid Driver’s License for state of residency and be insurable under the Tribal Vehicle Insurance Policy.
Must pass a thorough background check including Criminal History and pre-employment drug test.
Experience in administering environmentally related programs.
Basic knowledge of EPA regulations.
Use of global positioning systems (GPS).
Experience in grant writing.
Understanding of groundwater hydrology.
Native American preference; all applicants welcome to apply
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $49,517.00 – $56,945.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Ignacio, CO 81137: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Bachelor’s (Required)
- water quality: 2 years (Required)
Work Location: One location