Dedicated to sustainable development, Arup is a collective of designers, advisors and experts working globally. Founded to be humane and excellent, we collaborate with our clients and partners using imagination, technology, and rigor to shape a better world.
Arup is seeking an Adaptation and Resilience Consultant in our East Geography region (Boston, NY/NJ, DC, or Chicago offices) to support our growing Resilience practice. Our resilience work spans public, private, and non-profit sectors, working to understand climate change vulnerabilities and risks and develop innovative solutions to adapt to those risks. We collaborate regularly with other Arup teams and offices to deliver multi-disciplinary planning, design, and engineering solutions that enhance resilience. Recent project work has included a critical infrastructure and social vulnerability assessment of the Lower Mystic River Watershed, a climate vulnerability assessment of the MBTA’s Orange Line, studies on the intersection of decarbonization, equity and power resilience in NY, various resilience consulting projects with private developers, and several portfolio resilience assessments for large corporate owners.
- Undertake, deliver, and help manage qualitative and quantitative risk assessments for multiple hazards including flood, extreme heat, wind, wildfires, and climate change
- Provide resilient design analysis, performance optimization and climate adaptation consulting services on projects for the public and private sectors
- Assist clients, designers, architects, engineers, and contractors with research and implementation specifically related to resilience and adaptation
- Help develop mitigation, adaptation, and resilience strategies for building and infrastructure projects and portfolios, corporations/institutions, and cities/communities
- Prepare presentations, reports, memoranda, and other communication materials
- Collaborate with others within the firm on projects that can benefit from your expertise
- Provide general support to the growth of Arup’s Adaptation and Resilience consulting business, including client development and general business development.
- 4-year degree in Planning, Architecture, Building Engineering, Civil Engineering, Environmental Science, Economics, Public Policy, or a related field. An MS, PhD, or MBA is desirable but not required.
- At least 4 years of experience in practice or research. A higher-level degree can substitute for experience requirements.
- Excellent time management skills, with ability to prioritize and multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Understanding of factors which influence the resilience of buildings, infrastructure, organizations, and communities, including equity and environmental justice.
- Interest in climate science and understanding of climate change scenarios
- Understanding of the impacts of climate change and strategies for adaptation and resilience
- Strong analytical, quantitative, problem-solving, and decision-making capabilities
- Excellent writing, communication, and presentation skills
- Demonstrated experience with ArcGIS
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite to create graphics and visualizations
Benefits that Work – At Arup, we have a comprehensive and valuable benefits program that works for our employees and their families while keeping costs low. These benefits provide health and welfare security for you as well as paid time off for rest and renewal. Our Global Profit Share Plan (paid bi-annually) provides an opportunity for you to share in the success of the Firm. As a valued employee of Arup, you can also choose to participate in our 401(k) plan with up to 10% company match to help you save for your future.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement – Arup requires all new employees to be vaccinated for COVID-19. Arup is an equal opportunity employer and consistent with federal, state, and local requirements, will consider requests for reasonable accommodation based on disability or sincerely held religious beliefs where it is able to do so without undue hardship to Arup.
Flexible Working – We believe that flexible arrangements create a more inclusive way of working that supports our diversity and the wellbeing of our people. Options for alternative schedules and the ability to work outside of the office for a portion of your workweek are available.
Arup is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider all qualified candidates regardless of national origin, veteran, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or other status protected by law. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please contact us at americasben[email protected].