Date: Sep 12, 2022
Location: Baltimore, MD, US, 21230
Company: Under Armour
Under Armour has one mission: to make you better. We have a commitment to innovation that lies at the heart of everything we do, not just for our athletes but also for our teammates. As a global organization, our teams around the world push boundaries and think beyond what is expected. Together our teammates are unified by our values and are grounded in our vision to inspire you with performance solutions you never knew you needed but can’t imagine living without.
The Director of Environmental Sustainability is responsible for helping to set, lead and direct the implementation of UA’s environmental vision, benchmarking, strategy, goals, and targets, KPIs, plans, IT evolution and data systems integration, budgeting, and external communications. This includes building, managing, coaching, and mentoring a team of four or more on multiple complex cross-functional programs and projects; external commitments and partnerships; and internal/external reporting and communications strategy, plans, and implementation. The Director of Environmental Sustainability will help to create, set, and drive Executive Leadership Team and direct cascading environmental goals; direct and manage leadership working groups (Product; Home Field), build cross-functional partnerships, and refine Operating Model; and increase teammate engagement through Green Machine Teammate Resources Group.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Overall and Product Strategy: Working with CSO, help to set global environmental vision, strategy, goals, KPIs, and direct related implementation plans, data systems integration, budgeting, and external communications. Lead with cross-functional partners to establish comprehensive product and Go-to-Market strategies, supporting circularity. Working with direct reports, create cross-industry benchmarking based on sustainability reports, external benchmarks, Sustainable Apparel Coalition’s (SAC) BRM/FEM/MSI/PM data – as well as monitoring and engaging with SAC on its environmental strategic plan, membership requirements, tools, and collaboration opportunities.
- Target-Setting & Tracking: Lead and direct environmental program implementation by building partnerships across UA, the Sustainability team, and external partners (e.g., SAC, Climate and other initiatives, memberships and commitments), including helping to set environmental Executive Leadership Team and cascading goals, driving goal-setting and progress toward targets through leadership meetings and Product and Home Field working groups. Support work of CSO in the Sustainability Leadership Council, with Strategy, Transformation, Go-to-Market, Executive Leadership Team, MDs, and the Board/Corporate Governance and Sustainability Committee on Product, Home Field.
- Cross-Functional Integration: Build cross-functional partnerships, structures, and processes with UA leaders and teams to further integrate environmental sustainability into UA’s operations, including refining UA’s Operating Model and governance structures working across the enterprise and along the full value chain with Operational Leadership and Business Process Management to advance environmental sustainability and engaging teammates through Green Machine Teammate Resources Group. Work with key internal and external stakeholders and memberships and affiliations like the SAC, EDF, and the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, leading and guiding the environmental team to meet commitments and explore collaborations.
- Supplier Engagement Strategy and Implementation: Lead Climate Action & Water Strategy, implementation, IT systems evolution. Lead to refine, seamlessly deploying supplier engagement, capacity-building, and scorecards, to meet targets and evolving commitments (e.g., FEM, Climate Action, CbD and other programs, Water) – with direct reports and by building partnerships with consultants, as well as Sustainability leads for Eastern/Western hemispheres, broader Sustainability team, cross-functional partners, and external collaborators (e.g., Aii, brands)
- External Communications: Partner with Director, Operations and Engagement to set strategy/improvement plan & timelines and generate content for Sustainability and ESG reporting to internal and external stakeholders (e.g., CDP), internal (e.g., Green Machine chapter newsletters, Our House) and external communications (e.g., retailers, consumers, sell-ins, Sustainability Report/Microsite, media stories). Synchronize outreach for data to internal partners. Discuss, as needed, environmental sustainability with retailers. Lead cross-functionally to set and implement timelines & plans and refine messaging to communicate with consumers.
- Team & Culture: Build, manage, and mentor a team that works seamlessly with the broader Sustainability team, Operations leadership, and cross-functional partners on internal and external communications, advancing supplier sustainability, team operations, and budget management. Partners across the enterprise, regions, categories, and team to improve and create new processes, advance team-building, and build leadership.
Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities)
- Strategic, analytical, and entrepreneurial systems-thinker
- Able to motivate and influence, communicate, build and manage relationships within/across teams, externally
- Flexible, resilient, diplomatic, goal-oriented, and organized; learns fast and creates big picture with strong program management and attention to detail
Education And / Or Experience
- 10+ years of analysis, strategy, implementation, and influencing work in fast-paced settings with experience managing teams and budgets
- MBA and Masters of Environmental Management or Sustainability
- Location: This individual must reside within commuting distance from our global headquarters in Baltimore, MD
- Work-Life Integration (WLI) Designation: Three (3) days a week in-office, the remainder of work week remote at home
- Travel: Up to 10% annually, domestic and international
- No relocation provided
At Under Armour, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Under Armour believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a global company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
Learn more about Under Armour’s COVID-19 response and Teammate vaccination policies here.
Nearest Major Market: Baltimore