Job no: 555190
Contract type: Consultant
Categories: WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene)
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Safety!
Pakistan was the sixth country in the world to sign and ratify the Convention on the Rights of the Child, less than one year after it was adopted by the United Nations General Assembly in 1989. However, children and adolescents living in Pakistan still face acute challenges.
In particular, UNICEF will work so that:
- Every child survives and thrives — being in good health, immunized, protected from polio and accessing nutritious food.
- Every child learns.
- Every child is protected from violence and exploitation and registered at birth.
- Every child lives in a safe and clean environment, with access to safe drinking water and adequate sanitation.
To learn more about UNICEF’s work in Pakistan, please visit the country website www.unicef.org/pakistan and videos on YouTube and Vimeo
The WASH Emergency officer provides technical, operational, and administrative assistance throughout the WASH programming process, and prepares, manages, and implements a variety of technical and administrative tasks, related to the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the WASH output results for the humanitarian assistance in the field office
How can you make a difference?
- Timely inputs provided for sectoral analysis, support and collaboration to the Situation Analysis and its periodic update made for effective programme planning, development, and management.
- Assist in effective knowledge management by drafting/finalizing key WASH sectoral programme documents, proposals, and reports, sharing good practice, lessons learned, and knowledge/information exchange.
- Effective communication and networking supported through partnership and collaboration, including sectoral leadership of the WASH IASC cluster/Working Group coordination meetings
- Effective assistance in programme delivery, monitoring in field, evaluation and reporting carried out efficiently, rigorously, and transparently in compliance with the established guidelines and procedures
- Assistance provided for timely UNICEF and Government accountability ensured regarding supply, non-supply and emergency assistance as well as disbursement of programme funds for the WASH sector
- Sectoral work plan and activities formulated, implemented ensuring alignment with the defined programme strategies and approaches, with special attention to gender/sex disaggregation of relevant indicators.
- Ensure exchange of information, experience, identify new strategies and courses of action to accelerate/improve delivery of services and achieve WASH programme requirements and objectives
- Collaborate with Communication and Programme Communication groups to ensure development of effective communication materials and strategies to support advocacy and social mobilization efforts
- Weekly update of provincial WASH situation presented to stakeholders
- Provided requisite quality input in documents as per deadlines assigned by line/technical line managers
- Assistance provided for regular and effective WASH cluster/WG meetings as per frequency agreed with provincial government and UNICEF CFO
- Conduct field visits to monitor programmes and collect information. Conduct periodic programme reviews with Government counterparts and other partners as agreed with supervisor/technical supervisor
- Compliance to UNICEF processes, SOPs and HACT guidelines
- Contribution to and Compliance during implementation of UNICEF and WASH Sector Humanitarian and Rolling workplans
- Efficient and timely information sharing and analysis for effective achievement of WASH Humanitarian results
- Communication material developed and used in programme implementation in a timely manner
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An advanced university degree in one of the following fields is required: public health, social sciences, behavior change communication, sanitary engineering, or another relevant technical field.
*A first University Degree (bachelor’s) in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree
- A minimum of four years of professional work experience in WASH-related humanitarian responses in Pakistan is required.
- Experiences in flood response is preferable.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, Accountability and Sustainability (CRITAS).
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF offers reasonable accommodation for consultants/individual contractors with disabilities. This may include, for example, accessible software, travel assistance for missions or personal attendants. We encourage you to disclose your disability during your application in case you need reasonable accommodation during the selection process and afterwards in your assignment.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
- Applicants are requested to submit a financial quotation indicating daily fee or a lump sum amount for the whole assignment as part of the application against each deliverable.
- Verified (HEC Attested) degrees are a pre-requisite for employment at UNICEF. Candidates will be required to present attested and verified degrees.
- At the time the contract is awarded, the selected candidate must have in place current health insurance coverage valid for the duration of contract.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advanced to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
The selected candidate is solely responsible to ensure that the visa (applicable) and health insurance required to perform the duties of the contract are valid for the entire period of the contract. Selected candidates are subject to confirmation of fully-vaccinated status against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid-19) with a World Health Organization (WHO)-endorsed vaccine, which must be met prior to taking up the assignment. It does not apply to consultants who will work remotely and are not expected to work on or visit UNICEF premises, programme delivery locations or directly interact with communities UNICEF works with, nor to travel to perform functions for UNICEF for the duration of their consultancy contracts.
Advertised: 14 Sep 2022 Pakistan Standard Time
Deadline: 21 Sep 2022 Pakistan Standard Time