Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
Its mandate is to coordinate the development of environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action. UNEP’s Ecosystems Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition.
The post is located within UNEP – Cartagena Convention Secretariat, Kingston, Jamaica under the GEF CReW+ Project which falls under the Assessment & Management of Environmental Pollution (AMEP) sub-programme. Under the overall supervision of the Coordinator and the direct supervision of the Programme Management Officer/Regional Project Coordinator, the Programme Management Assistant may be responsible for the following duties:
• Assists in the coordination of programme/project planning and preparation work for, the Secretariat’s Programme of Work with a focus on implementation of new programme/project initiatives; monitors status of programme/project proposals and receipt of relevant documentation for review and approval.
• Compiles, summarizes, presents and disseminates basic information/data on specific programmes/projects and related topics or issues.
• Reviews project documents, in particular cost plans/budgets, for completeness and compliance with relevant rules and procedures prior to submission for final approval and signature; identifies inconsistencies; reviews and distributes project documents to relevant parties upon approval.
• Reviews project budget revisions; verifies availability of funds; ensures necessary approval and entry in computerized budget system.
• Serves as focal point for administrative coordination of programme/project implementation activities, involving extensive liaison with a diverse organizational units and Implementing Agency partners to initiate requests, obtain necessary clearances, process and follow-up on administrative actions, e.g. recruitment and appointment of personnel/consultants, travel arrangements, training/study tours, authorization of payments, disbursement of funds, processing of legal instruments, requesting procurement of equipment and services.
• Compiles, summarizes and enters data on project delivery; drafts related status reports, identifying shortfalls in delivery, reviews project reports submitted by Implementing Partners and brings variances and irregularities to the attention of management.
• Drafts correspondence on programme, project and budget-related issues and prepares and updates periodic reports, briefing notes, graphic and statistical summaries, including responding and communicating with partner agencies and stakeholders.
• Provides general office assistance; responds to complex information requests and inquiries; reviews, logs and routes incoming correspondence; sets up and maintains files/records; organizes meetings, workshops; handles routine administrative tasks, such as maintaining attendance records, assessing telephone billing.
• Provides guidance/training to new/junior staff.
• Assists with the collection and analysis of data as well as preparation of data presentations and reports for information sharing, responding to queries, knowledge management, planning and decision making.
• Assists with visualizations and updating information material such as web pages or brochures.
• Performs other duties as assigned.