Our Ideal Candidate
The role of the WASH Assistant position is to assist in the implementation of WASH activities mostly. Aside provide support to the implementation of Shelter, innovation and Energy in-kind, voucher and cash-based assistance, conducting a survey, field outreach with the community, and monitoring day-to-day implementation, distribution, construction follow-up monitoring, community sensitization and coordination with SMS agencies and relevant stockholder under the guidance of line manager.
Key Task and Responsibilities
- Under the supervision of Coordinator-Shelter & WASH, conduct needs assessments, verification and data collection to identify cases for shelter & WASH assistance in refugee camps and host communities.
- WASH Assistant will be responsible for carrying out the WASH activities with the implementation/rehabilitation and construction of the water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) component/Program, including supporting Community WASH Volunteers to complete hygiene behaviour change programming, and supporting community water management committees with quality standards.
- Provide technical support with capacity building to volunteers with infrastructure construction/rehabilitation monitoring and follow-up, conduct HP and sensibiliser other sessions/training/orientation with BNF and progress/ obstacles sharing with line manager.
- Prepared infrastructure technical design and BoQ with maintain standards.
- Supervise distributions, monitor loading and offloading of shelter/wash materials and verify materials meet technical specifications.
- Provide direction, assigns tasks and give instructions to daily workers/volunteers and monitor the progress with quality of delivery and ensure the implementation according to plan.
- Take part in the mobilization of refugee and host communities for awareness campaigns and for conducting research using focus group discussions, interviews and questionnaires.
- Conduct outreach activities within the camps and serve as a link between NRC programs and the local community, ensuring their input into shelter/wash programme activities.
- Establish excellent relations with beneficiaries including understanding the needs of beneficiaries through regular visits and frequent contact.
- Perform any other task as requested by the line manager or senior management as per needs.
Key Education and Skills Requirements
- Good knowledge of the refugee context in Bangladesh
- Professional fluency in the Bangla language (ability to communicate in the Chittagonian dialect)
- Technical educational background with experience and physical experience in the refugee context is highly encouraged to apply.
- Experience with infrastructure design through AutoCAD, scratch, rivet etc. is preferable.
- Knowledge of the Burmese language is an asset
- Experience from working in a non-profit organization is an asset
- Information management with raw/field data and documentation with final data will be added value to the position.
- Knowledge of the software programs (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
We welcome applications from qualified and interested candidates, particularly local candidates, from the Cox’s Bazar area. Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Contract period: 12 months
Duty Station: Ukhiya, Cox’s Bazar
Salary and Benefits: Competitive salary and allowances as per NRC’s salary scale, insurance, festival bonus, and annual leave